• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help me decipher AntWeb species list...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 5 2016 - 6:40 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
Hey all. I'm going through AntWeb to find out all the species(known)that occupy my state of Montana. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly. Here's what it says all species in Montana are:https://www.antweb.o...dm1Name=Montana

Ok so I'm reading this as this is their list of all the known species in Montana, correct? If so, then can a more experienced keeper offer me their opinion of which of these species they would recommend for a beginner(I've been out of the hobby for several years, so I'm calling myself a beginner again). I'm thinking camponotus modoc, camponotus herculeanus, or tapinoma sessile, mainly because they are all flying now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My last colony years ago was lasius niger, but they don't fly for a few months yet.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 5 2016 - 7:27 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I can cross two off you.

Tapinoma sessile.

They are VERY hard to keep in captivity. They do good for anywhere from 2 to 4 months, but slowly die until there is nothing left. Someone on here does (did?) good with them, and has had a colony for a while (or at least did). The trick the person did was a large variety of food that was different each time. However, I tried that and they still slowly died. Yet, I can put a small colony outside and in a few years, they grow huge. But overall, very few people have success with Tapinoma sessile.

Polyergus mexicanus is a slave-making ant, which automatically makes it not beginner friendly.

You could try Camponotus modoc or Camponotus herculeanus. I don't have experience with the latter, but Camponotus modoc (and Camponotus in general) tend to be really easy ants. They tend to grow slow, but they do good for a lot of people.

Some of those Formica and Laisus could be easy, but some of them tend to be parasitic.

#3 Offline JediPeaceFrog - Posted May 5 2016 - 7:56 PM

JediPeaceFrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMontana
Thank you for the reply and the info, Vendayn. I agree with you about the tapinoma...research says same. Camponotus modoc plentiful here, so hopefully I'll bag a queen soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users