• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the name of this kind of ant? &How to feed it?

name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DanielGeneral - Posted April 25 2016 - 4:51 AM

DanielGeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello everyone! :blush: Recently, I got an new colony with about 200 workers and 2 queens.

However, I know little about this ant of fantastic yellow color. 

Is Camponotus turkestanus? 

What's more what should I DO to keep the colony generating new workers? Do they have special need for temperature humidity or food?

Looking forward to your  reply! Cheers

屏幕快照 2016-04-26 上午04.51.12.png 屏幕快照 2016-04-26 上午04.51.46.png 屏幕快照 2016-04-26 上午04.52.03.png

#2 Offline Socalfireants - Posted April 25 2016 - 8:29 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Looks like camponotus, but include your region too as that may help identification. Are they in a proper setup with outworld? Or are they all crammed in those tubes? A colony that large needs insect diet for protein, sugar water, honey, grains and various ant foods

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted April 25 2016 - 10:27 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Camponotus of some sort.

Do you know where the queens were collected?

I suggest checking out the beginner's guide, as well as preferred fods in this link - http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

Most camponotus are pretty easy going, insects, sugar water, etc.

Most Camponotus also like additional heat for faster brood developement.  They usually are not too fussy about humdiity, but some species that originate in areas that get snow do not do well if the humidity falls too low.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline DanielGeneral - Posted April 25 2016 - 9:43 PM

DanielGeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Looks like camponotus, but include your region too as that may help identification. Are they in a proper setup with outworld? Or are they all crammed in those tubes? A colony that large needs insect diet for protein, sugar water, honey, grains and various ant foods

Most people said it belongs to the Camponotus family but just cannot figure out the exact name of it.

Well, I think basically they prefer to stay in the tubes maybe because of fright...or something else...

Anyway, thank you for your reply! :D

#5 Offline DanielGeneral - Posted April 25 2016 - 9:48 PM

DanielGeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Camponotus of some sort.

Do you know where the queens were collected?

I suggest checking out the beginner's guide, as well as preferred fods in this link - http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

Most camponotus are pretty easy going, insects, sugar water, etc.

Most Camponotus also like additional heat for faster brood developement.  They usually are not too fussy about humdiity, but some species that originate in areas that get snow do not do well if the humidity falls too low.

It is said it was collected in the desert of northwest China few months ago.

costs me a lot...

Currently, I provide extra heating to them, hopefully they will get used to it soon! 

It's very kind off you!

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted April 26 2016 - 9:33 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Provide one warmer location and some cooler ones, and they will put brood at the optimum temperature. 

Looking forward to seeing how they do.

Do you have an entire setup picture?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline DanielGeneral - Posted April 28 2016 - 3:28 AM

DanielGeneral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Provide one warmer location and some cooler ones, and they will put brood at the optimum temperature. 
Looking forward to seeing how they do.

Do you have an entire setup picture?

It seems all are getting well. They move the brood to different place after heating. :D  B) (obviously, they favor the higher temperature, around 28degree)

I took this picture few days ago.

Attached Images

• 屏幕快照 2016-04-29 上午03.35.15.png

Edited by dspdrew, April 28 2016 - 6:05 AM.
Fixed quote

• Crystals likes this

#8 Offline exs - Posted May 19 2016 - 10:02 PM

exs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtokyo

this name isCamponotus festinus  It is indeed China has varieties It eats honey andSmall insects

Edited by exs, May 19 2016 - 10:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: name

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users