• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Myrmecocystus testaceus Journal [149] (Discontinued)

dspdrew journal myrmecocystus

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 23 2015 - 11:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-24-2015

All the new queens are doing well so far; I haven't had any deaths since the last update. I actually haven't had hardly any deaths at all. Most of them seem to be keeping their eggs in nice neat piles. The queen that wouldn't dig a nest finally did after I made a little hole with a barbeque skewer. I guess that was all she needed. There are now a total of eleven queens living in the ant farm boxes, one being the older colony with workers already.

#22 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2015 - 2:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 8-7-2015

Almost all the colonies have workers now. There has only been a couple deaths. A few of the ones in the dirt boxes are doing really well, with a few workers and a lot of brood. The original colony has about 15 workers now. I moved a few of the ones in test tubes to some small foraging containers. Since these are doing better than I had planned, I'll probably have too many to properly take care of, so I think I'll be selling a couple of these colonies.

med_gallery_2_172_299524.jpg

med_gallery_2_172_239796.jpg

med_gallery_2_172_300340.jpg

med_gallery_2_172_78528.jpg

med_gallery_2_172_487529.jpg

med_gallery_2_172_208049.jpg

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 14 2015 - 5:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-14-2015

These are still doing well. I had one queen die in one of the last colonies in the little test tube containers, so I put the two workers she left behind in with another colony without chilling them or anything, and they immediately got along with them just fine--no aggression at all from any of them.

I now have all the colonies living in the small dirt boxes.

#24 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 14 2015 - 5:03 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Will these guys make repletes like other Myrmecocystus?

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2015 - 5:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

As far as I know, yes.

#26 Offline yen_saw - Posted October 16 2015 - 10:12 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Looking good! Wish i live close enough for me to buy a colony from you.

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 15 2016 - 10:34 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-15-2016

I have seven colonies of these left. They all are doing well and continuing to grow. A few are quite a bit larger than the rest, and one of those looks like it might be starting to get its first replete too.

All seven colonies have been put into hibernation in my new "hibernation cabinet".

med_gallery_2_478_132155.jpg

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 4 2016 - 10:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-4-2016

I just took these out of hibernation last week. I sold one colony, and one lost their queen. The other five look like they're doing fine.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2016 - 7:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-17-2016

I just found six more of these queens in Angelus Oaks, CA, on 5-12-2016. I just put them all in test tubes.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 25 2016 - 7:28 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-25-2016

A few of the new queens have died, leaving me with four. I moved one of them into a vacant "dirt box". The three remaining queens are still in test tubes. They all have small piles of eggs now.

#31 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 27 2016 - 9:08 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Any update? Both of the two I have remaining each have two workers.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#32 Offline Saftron - Posted August 28 2016 - 7:19 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Myrmecocystus Testaceus is my dream colony, they do live in my area but I've never seen any colonies of any ants besides Tetramorium and Argentine ants. The drought hasn't been helping either, I don't know when to look for queens or where it's like the bay area is a death zone for all other species besides tetramorium and argentines. Ill probably have to stick with tetramorium for the rest of my hobby sadly :/ I really wanted to find some cool species like Camponotus, formica, pheidole, Myrmecocystus, crematogaster basically any type of ant besides Argentine ants and tetramorium. Argentine ants don't even have nuptial flights so my interest in this hobby probably won't last as long and when I got bored of my colony Ill let them go and spray the wild argentine ant colony around me so they have a higher chance of living..

#33 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 29 2016 - 5:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Unfortunately there haven't been hardly any mating flghts in California this summer.

#34 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 22 2016 - 12:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-20-2016

All I have now is my older colony, which hasn't really changed at all since the last update. I just put them into hibernation.

#35 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted November 30 2016 - 6:22 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Myrmecocystus Testaceus is my dream colony, they do live in my area but I've never seen any colonies of any ants besides Tetramorium and Argentine ants. The drought hasn't been helping either, I don't know when to look for queens or where it's like the bay area is a death zone for all other species besides tetramorium and argentines. Ill probably have to stick with tetramorium for the rest of my hobby sadly :/ I really wanted to find some cool species like Camponotus, formica, pheidole, Myrmecocystus, crematogaster basically any type of ant besides Argentine ants and tetramorium. Argentine ants don't even have nuptial flights so my interest in this hobby probably won't last as long and when I got bored of my colony Ill let them go and spray the wild argentine ant colony around me so they have a higher chance of living..

Argentine ants do have nuptial flights only some mate in the nest

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#36 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 30 2016 - 6:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

when I got bored of my colony Ill let them go and spray the wild argentine ant colony around me so they have a higher chance of living..

You should never release a captive colony.

#37 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 30 2016 - 6:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

when I got bored of my colony Ill let them go and spray the wild argentine ant colony around me so they have a higher chance of living..

You should never release a captive colony.

Outside of releasing non-native ants (which is a very bad thing to do), and depending on if not if the ants would naturally be found in the area if there wasn't Argentine ants or another invasive ants. So like taking Camponotus modoc up from Northern California, bringing them to Southern California is also bad. But, taking a local ant or an ant that would be there if not for invasive ants and releasing it...

I'm pretty sure the governments of the world spraying for mosquitoes do way more harm to the environment by an immense amount more, than someone releasing a native ant. Which doesn't harm the environment in any way. :P

More than likely, Argentine ants would kill them anyway if Antkeeper has to spray for them. And if by chance the captive colony got a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 chance of some weird disease only found in captivity. Good riddance, hope it infects the Argentine ants!

I personally release native ants. Not like they can do any harm than Solenopsis invicta and Argentine ants. And people do way more harm to a huge range of creatures and wildlife killing mosquitoes than anything else. The environment around me isn't even natural anyway, its all terraformed human made urban environment. However, I only release native ants I find in walking distance. I don't release ants I get out in the desert or even local mountains. Since that isn't very natural, and I'd say that makes them not native to the local area. I'd say releasing is completely fine, but ONLY if they are native to the local area.

Edited by Vendayn, November 30 2016 - 6:56 PM.

#38 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 16 2017 - 1:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-16-2017

I just pulled this colony out of hibernation today. The "dirt box" looked a little dry, and I think a few workers may have died. :(

#39 Offline 1b7h2 - Posted April 16 2017 - 6:01 PM

1b7h2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

one month later and still waiting for a update

#40 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 22 2017 - 2:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-22-2017

This colony died a few months back. Not sure why I never updated the journal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, myrmecocystus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users