• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mites on my new Myrmecocystus queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 14 2014 - 5:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I recently collected 11 small brown Myrmecocystus sp. queens and noticed that most of them had quite a few mites burrowed into the area where their wings were once attached and the underside of their neck. A couple of them didn't have any, but most had three or more. Luckily I have a microscope that made it possible to see them good enough to remove them. I was able to pull most of them off, but a few of them just crushed, making them much harder to remove. Hopefully there won't be a problem with the ones that weren't fully removed; I at least killed them.

I have not noticed any mites on queens I have collected in the past, although they may be a reason for some of the sudden deaths. I'm wondering why there were so many on these particular queens. Is there just a high concentration of them in the location where I collected the queens, or is it something about that genus of ant? I'm also a little worried that there may be eggs somewhere that are going to hatch and start attacking these queens again. I suppose once the wing wounds heal up, that spot will be less vulnerable, but the neck will probably always be a target for these things.

Here's a picture of one of the queens that had quite a few mites on it.

gallery_2_137_12610.jpg

#2 Offline uso - Posted April 20 2014 - 9:51 PM

uso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I think these particular mites are velvet mite nymphs. I've never known them to feed on ants though, but I don't think they're particularly picky about their hosts.

Edited by uso, April 20 2014 - 9:51 PM.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2014 - 4:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Your alive! Welcome back. Would those be the ones you find attached to lizards a lot? They look like the ones I have to pick off my Side-blotched lizard all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users