• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Little hydrostone founding chamber

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bryce - Posted January 31 2016 - 9:32 AM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
So I found a ceramic shop here in Phoenix that sells hydrostone 100lbs bags for $47.00. If anyone lives in Phoenix I would be glad to give them directions. I bought some modeling clay and tools. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with it. This is my first real attempt. It's measures 3 1/2 x 2. I still need to clean it up some. Thought I'd share.

Attached Images

• 145426113144464035.jpg
  • 1454261447544-926585395.jpg
  • 1454260672212-2016143983.jpg

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 7 2016 - 1:57 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looks good.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 7 2016 - 3:02 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Looks good.

I would have used the word "inspired." Haha :o)

Edited by drtrmiller, February 7 2016 - 3:02 PM.

• Tspivey16 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline prettycode - Posted February 29 2016 - 5:30 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

So I found a ceramic shop here in Phoenix that sells hydrostone 100lbs bags for $47.00. If anyone lives in Phoenix I would be glad to give them directions. I bought some modeling clay and tools. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with it. This is my first real attempt. It's measures 3 1/2 x 2. I still need to clean it up some. Thought I'd share.

Nice. How did you make the surface of the hydrostone flat--the surface that the glass or acrylic is against?

#5 Offline prettycode - Posted February 29 2016 - 5:32 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

The inside texture of the nest is difficult to nail down. I've tried a number of things and am still not satisfied--it's not as good as the original "source of inspiration".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users