• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fish tank mesh lid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iXvXi - Posted February 3 2016 - 3:29 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello, I'm looking to build a formicarium out of a fish tank. The current lid is mesh/screen that sits on the top.

The holes are too big and the ants would simply climb out.

Should I use a second mesh/screen and glue it to the inner portion of the lid? If so anyone know what micron I should use?

Or should I ditch the lid, cut a piece of plexiglass to sit on the top, and cut a rectangular portion in the center?

Any opinions, suggestions or input would be great. Anyone do something similar to this?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 3 2016 - 4:00 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have a pattern for laser cutting a beautiful and functional ant lid that sits in the rim of the aquarium and has zero gap inset lids. I made one for a 5 gallon tank, but it can be adapted to any size. PM if interested.

I misspoke. I have a 10-gallon tank.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 3 2016 - 6:01 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline iXvXi - Posted February 3 2016 - 4:41 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I have a pattern for laser cutting a beautiful and functional ant lid that sits in the rim of the aquarium and has zero gap inset lids. I made one for a 5 gallon tank, but it can be adapted to any size. PM if interested.

I have a 10 gallon, but very interested. Shooting you a pm now! Thanks

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 3 2016 - 4:53 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Good deal.  You can kind of see what I have going here.  I feed my ants through the mesh so I don't even have to take the lids off!  If your environment is dry, you can use the lip under the lid to apply Fluon so the ants don't wander out when the inset lids are taken off.

For some reason I call my tank a 10 gallon tank in some places.  I think it's actually 5, but doesn't matter.

I misspoke. I have a 10-gallon tank.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 3 2016 - 6:01 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline iXvXi - Posted February 3 2016 - 5:27 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Ohhh, that is very cool! This is much better than what I had in mind.

Edited by iXvXi, February 9 2016 - 6:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users