• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My ant game

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roachant - Posted January 4 2016 - 6:30 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,
As some of you may know I was working on an ant simulation game but stopped due to time constraints as well as seeing how many other ant games were coming out.

Here is a link to a video showing how far I got which is, not far at all. Keep in mind that I'm no artist and just learned to program this past summer...

After seeing other peoples ant games I am a bit discouraged that either they never get finished or that they aren't what I was expecting for an ant simulation game.
I REALLY wanted an updated version of simant as I loved that game when I was young so that was the direction I was going in. That, and to have an ant simulation that was realistic and not just a ' Starcraft using ants ' type of thing. I had soo many ideas that I wanted to put into the game ( aphid farming, conflicts, hunting, different species, different environments...) it was going to be a bigger version of simant.
Anywhoo, let me know what you thought of the game I was working on and who knows? Maybe one day I'll get back to it.
  • ctantkeeper and Barristan like this

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 4 2016 - 7:55 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Now this is an ant game I'd play. What I've been waiting for for ages...an updated Sim Ant :P

Would you be able to take over "territory" like in Sim Ant, where you can expand into different parts of the "region"? Like in sim ant, you would slowly take over the guys house. And the "red" ants would also spread. Kinda a minor thing though if that isn't included, though a way to "expand" beyond the first "base" is always nice in strategy games. I think a lot of strategy games (on PC anyway, dunno about all the smart phone app ones) include that these days. Like in Starcraft, you build into different resources and claim territory on them. Dunno how that work for ants though. But I know in real life, ants produce alates to spread their species around and keep it going.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 5 2016 - 12:06 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Pretty cool!

#4 Offline Roachant - Posted January 5 2016 - 7:28 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Now this is an ant game I'd play. What I've been waiting for for ages...an updated Sim Ant :P
Would you be able to take over "territory" like in Sim Ant, where you can expand into different parts of the "region"? Like in sim ant, you would slowly take over the guys house. And the "red" ants would also spread. Kinda a minor thing though if that isn't included, though a way to "expand" beyond the first "base" is always nice in strategy games. I think a lot of strategy games (on PC anyway, dunno about all the smart phone app ones) include that these days. Like in Starcraft, you build into different resources and claim territory on them. Dunno how that work for ants though. But I know in real life, ants produce alates to spread their species around and keep it going.

That's what I had in mind when you eliminate other colonies, you kind of control that area but would always have to be aware of other colonies springing up after certain times of year like when nuptial flights happen and such so like in real life (for ants) I wanted there to always have that threat that your territory could be invaded again after other species nuptial flights. A way to prevent re colonization on your 'map' would be to be the dominant species on the other 'maps' surrounding your current map. And yet another strategy would be to allow other species to exist in your territory but don't let them get large enough to make alates thus they occupy the space without the ability to pose a threat, and simply being there prevents other species from colonizing. See? Force the player to think like an ant!

An ants life is to me, interesting enough in its own right that a game based solely on how they live would have enough material and excitement to make a good game without adding any extraneous things like custom built species or other odd video gamy things like that.
Just talking about the game is getting me excited to work on it again but I'm so busy with work and the other game I'm developing with someone that I wouldn't be able to devote the proper time this game needs. And I'm hoping that I'll learn enough making the other game that if I return to the ant sim I will have a much easier time. Programming is hard, my hats off to those who work with computers.

#5 Offline gutrug - Posted January 5 2016 - 9:51 AM

gutrug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I always imagined an ant game with a dungeon keeper sorta gameplay, controlling a queen but not controlling the workers. highlighting areas you want dug out, to much expantion could cause you to dig into another nest. clicking food items, ants move around free will doing jobs they think they should be doing. highliting chambers to be specific rooms, rooms needing specific needs around them or certain areas have hydration levels and temperture changes.

#6 Offline klawfran3 - Posted January 14 2016 - 2:35 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
I hope you have a throwback to the Sim Ant spider death: "due to a latent fear of being eaten by ants you go insane and kill yourself. You will be reincarnated as an ant"

That line is what made Sim ant go from an 8/10 to a 10/10 in my book lol. I played the game four more times just to see it!

Edited by klawfran3, January 14 2016 - 2:37 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#7 Offline Roachant - Posted January 15 2016 - 3:02 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I hope you have a throwback to the Sim Ant spider death: "due to a latent fear of being eaten by ants you go insane and kill yourself. You will be reincarnated as an ant"
That line is what made Sim ant go from an 8/10 to a 10/10 in my book lol. I played the game four more times just to see it!

Heh, not a bad idea! I wonder if EA would come after me if I used it.
  • klawfran3 likes this

#8 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted January 17 2016 - 5:00 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

If you've played Ant Warz, that was a pretty good ant sim game with cartoonish graphics, maybe you could play it for inspiration lol. By the way, what language/program are you using to make this, and what platform are you planning to release it on? Maybe I could help? I have some experience with 3D modelling, pixel art, and java.

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users