• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mexican Dwarf Crayfish

mexican dwarf crayfish crawdad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 31 2016 - 5:41 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

I recently acquired 3 orange dwarf crayfish. 1 male and 2 females. They are in a ten gallon tank. They have a pretty cool personality, which is why I got them. I am thinking of adding some shrimp and small fish.

2namgz9.jpg

vwq0au.jpg

• drtrmiller likes this

#2 Offline dermy - Posted February 1 2016 - 9:18 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Looks like a pretty decent sized aquarium for them! I've only seen a Crayfish once in my life, at a lake.

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 2 2016 - 5:26 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

It is only a 10 gallon. They weren't kidding when they said dwarf!

#4 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 3 2016 - 1:15 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that mondo grass you have will die.  Even though it's sold as an aquatic plant it isn't, and will not survive more than a few weeks submerged. 

I'm guessing you may have bought it from petco or petsmart, be aware that they sell semi-aquatic plants as fully aquatic.  I made this same mistake too and wasted a lot of money when I was starting out.  The peacock fern and aqua fern they sell are also not fully aquatic plants and won't survive in a tank.

I have a mexican dwarf too, they have a lot of personality.  The one I have does fine with my cherry shrimp although he is a bit territorial and kind of a bully.

Edited by Runner12, February 3 2016 - 1:16 PM.

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 3 2016 - 1:22 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Thanks for the info. How would I go about keeping it? Like a normal potted plant?

#6 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 3 2016 - 1:25 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Yeah I took mine out of my tank and kept it that way, it does alright, but it needs frequent watering.  You might google some care instructions for it since I wasn't all that committed to keeping mine alive once I found that out lol. 

If you're interested in aquatic plants that will do well, java ferns and anubias are both easy to find, banana plants too, but they're a little harder to find.  If possible I'd buy them directly out of the tank, those tubed plants they sell never seem to do so hot in my tanks

Edited by Runner12, February 3 2016 - 1:31 PM.

#7 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 3 2016 - 1:30 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Here's my guy.

izB4oeI.jpg

#8 Offline Ants4fun - Posted February 3 2016 - 2:41 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Thanks for the info!
And wow he sure is orange!

#9 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 3 2016 - 6:53 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

No problem!  Yep I was lucky to find one with his coloration

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 7 2016 - 2:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is awesome. I had an electric blue one for a couple years a few years back.

#11 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 13 2016 - 2:00 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

61xIkgmhy8L.jpg

Eventually I'd like to have one of these.  I found my mexican dwarf dead this morning, apparently I jinxed him by posting his picture.  Not sure what happened to him, everyone else is still healthy

#12 Offline Roachant - Posted February 15 2016 - 9:01 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

61xIkgmhy8L.jpg

Eventually I'd like to have one of these.  I found my mexican dwarf dead this morning, apparently I jinxed him by posting his picture.  Not sure what happened to him, everyone else is still healthy

That looks like one of the Australian crayfish, chelax species I think. They are difficult to find in captivity but are really fun to keep and get quite large.

#13 Offline Runner12 - Posted February 15 2016 - 1:22 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Yeah it is a Cherax species.  This site has lots of cool stuff available, but they haven't had that particular color morph for a while

http://www.aquaticar...hwater-crayfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users