• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

California morphed kingsnake

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chall - Posted January 30 2016 - 10:16 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
image.jpg

California morphed kingsnake

Last fed: 3 weeks ago

Last time I fed this snake he decided the mice weren't going to be eaten right away. Instead he let them dig a hole right after which he went in the hole only to come out minutes later with mouse blood covering half his body and the majority of the bedding in the cage. I then realised he had 2 bite marks on his neck so I quickly put a bacterial killer on it so it would not get infected.

Edited by Chall, January 30 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 31 2016 - 5:45 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I would feed them frozen mice. It is better and more humane to the snake and the mouse. Not to mention the fact that the mouse could hurt the snake, which that one just did.

#3 Offline Chall - Posted January 31 2016 - 10:07 AM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Unfortunately I have no choice he was raised off of live mice so if I try to feed him frozen ones he will simply not eat it

#4 Offline Chall - Posted January 31 2016 - 10:08 AM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
My Lampropeltis p. pyromelana eat frozen but that's because I started it as soon as they were born

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted January 31 2016 - 10:17 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Oh, that stinks.

#6 Offline Subverted - Posted January 31 2016 - 11:33 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Unfortunately I have no choice he was raised off of live mice so if I try to feed him frozen ones he will simply not eat it

If you wait awhile after a feed it should be possible to get it switched over. When you thaw out a frozen mouse, hold it with long tweezers and shake it around on the bottom of an empty plastic bin. The snake will probably take it.

Also...in the future... don't FEED YOUR SNAKES IN THEIR CAGES. That is the number one way to end up with a snake that thinks anything coming into the cage is food. Always feed in a separate container,  plastic bins are perfect.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#7 Offline DustyDoes - Posted May 27 2016 - 7:41 AM

DustyDoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVan Nuys, CA
If the snake is picky about frozen, buy live and kill it yourself. It'll smell fresh and be normal body temp, but unable to hurt the snake. My ball python has always been reluctant to take frozen, so I had to start with fresh-killed rats, and eventually got him transitioned to frozen-thawed. It can take a few feeding cycles to get done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users