• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Perlite in grout Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Slimjim - Posted November 25 2015 - 2:26 PM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando Florida
Hi,
Thanks for looking.
I am ready to pour in the new mold and I have to add perlite,I went to Home Depot and lowes ,I found small bags of perlite at both stores ,but they have miracle grow plant food added 99.03 %Perlite and 000.7% Plant food or miracle grow,Can I use this?
I didn't buy it ,I want to make sure the perlite is safe for the Formicarium .
Thanks,
Kindly,
J.R.

#2 Offline Huch - Posted November 25 2015 - 6:02 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
I know it can get moldy. I don't think all molds are harmful, and some are probably even beneficial.

If you use the perlite, let us know how well it works for you.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2015 - 5:01 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I was actually thinking of trying that to make a lightweight concrete mix. Let us know how it goes!

Edit: Don't use perlite for plants, especially if it contains fertilizer. Use perlite meant for concrete, there's info out there on the type and size perlite, a lot of people do it for tufa pots and such.

Edited by Foogoo, November 27 2015 - 5:02 PM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users