• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

State College, PA (Member since late July)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted October 27 2015 - 8:25 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I've been participating on this forum for about 3 months now, but I should probably follow the expectations of this site and formally introduce myself as a relatively new member.  

My name is Dan and I'm a family-man from State College, PA.  I'm new to ant-keeping and I just started this past July. Prior to ant-keeping, I've always found bugs to be interesting, but never before to the extent that I'd spend money on the interest.  Now it's a different story.  

In addition to being an ant-keeper, I also ...

• Am a professional software engineer
  • Am a landlord
  • Have a passion for biology and a lot of science-background
  • Enjoy composing music on a synthesizer and computer
  • Creating digital art
  • Manipulating and/or restoring photographs
  • Using Sketchup for 3D modelling
  • Enjoy strategy video games, including SimAnt
  • Hate mowing lawns

I currently have roughly 60 queens.  Here are the species:

• S. molesta,
  • B. depelis,
  • C. cerasi,
  • A. fulva,
  • L. nearcticus

It's always difficult for me to convey to folks why I'm particularly interested in ants.  Please allow me an opportunity to present them from my own perspective.  Take, for example, a plant or fungus.  In order for the organism to acquire additional resources and be more reproductive, the organism grows to new locations and in physical mass.  In the case of a spider, the spider patiently waits for resources (food/water) to come to it.  And in the case of a dolphin, the dolphin moves to wherever resources are bountiful.  These are standard survival strategies.  The ant survival strategy is completely alien by comparison almost every other organism (save termites, bees, etc.).  In addition to making more reproductive ants, reproductive ants can alternatively use their DNA to breed themselves slave-machine-children that will fetch the resources they need in order to pass on there genes and increase their power.  These slave-machine-children look like, and even behave like the particular queen!  In fact, it's been regularly observed that two queens of the same species can have personalities and those personalities are also passed to the workers.  Workers should always be thought of as mechanical extensions of the queen instead of as atomic organisms.

Well, now it's official - I've introduced myself.  Thanks for your time!

• Mannomorth likes this
~Dan

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted October 27 2015 - 8:36 AM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Dan in short you think ants are cool!  I have been reading most of your posts since you started keep up the good work!

• Works4TheGood likes this

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted October 27 2015 - 8:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome.  :)

Now let's see you make journals for every single one of those queens....  :lol:

• Works4TheGood likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted November 24 2015 - 1:56 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

welcome ;)

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#5 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 24 2015 - 5:04 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Hello, Dan the Family Man who Works4TheGood:

Nice introduction. Probably too nerdy for the average cocktail party, but in this crowd, you fit right in.

James

• Mannomorth and Works4TheGood like this

#6 Offline Mannomorth - Posted December 4 2015 - 1:23 PM

Mannomorth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Hello and welcome, love the intro :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users