• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Specimen24-6's Domino roaches journal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted October 12 2015 - 6:31 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUSA, California
I don't even remember how long I had these but finally one of my nymphs matured into adult
Nymphs
image.jpg
Adult
image.jpg
I'm sure that there are some members here that aren't fans of roaches, but interesting thing about these, is that the adults don't look like roaches they are a black and white beetle mimic. It took almost a year for him to reach maturity. I hope that a female molts soon because if they start breeding then I will be very happy. You probably never thought that some one would ever be happy about breeding roaches, but look at these guys how could you say no to this :D
  • kellakk likes this

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted October 13 2015 - 5:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I would have loved a colony of dubai roaches as feeders for my ants, but sadly, like most non-native insects in Canada it is illegal to have them.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted October 13 2015 - 6:36 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Do you have American cockroaches, I'm sure you can use those as feeders. Unless you don't like the gross factor.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted October 13 2015 - 7:34 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Your roaches look neat.  How many nymphs do you have?

Technically Canada has no native roaches.  The only roaches allowed in Canada are 3 pest types - German cockroach, Russian cockroach, and Prussian cockroach (which are serious pests that climb, carry disease/allergens, and no one in their right mind would want to keep).

Canada has strict import laws on insects.  If it isn't on the list, you need a permit which is expensive and normally only granted to museums and zoos and require yearly inspections of the location they are kept.  Technically, even Superworms are in a grey area.

I am fortunate that a science lab near me has a permit and occasionally freezes extras and I can take them and feed them to my ants.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted October 13 2015 - 9:40 AM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Periplaneta americana is a good feeder candidate, believe it or not they are kept by roach keepers here, and escapes are prevented by Vaseline barrier and a screen lid. They also can't infest a house due to there moisture requirements, they can only linger then die from dehydration. Most of the periplaneta you find indoors are lost and must have been looking for food. There isn't enough humidity indoors for egg laying or molting. If you want clean specimens then you can turn to a biological supply store or buy from a breeder who can ship to Canada. The ones you should worry about is Blattela germanica they are very prone to infesting the house, I should know because my aunt waged a war on them and they won. As far as I know the roaches kept the apartment, it belongs to them well at least till some one else rents it then its their war 

I only have three domino roaches, one is a adult ,the other one is a sub adult, the third is nowhere close to being a adult. but, if I'm lucky number two will molt into a adult and I will be able to breed them.  :lol: 

#6 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted October 14 2015 - 7:12 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
My second subadult has molted to a adult and if I'm correct and they are of two different genders then they will breed and I will get many egg cases but on the down side it will take forever for them to hatch and even longer for them to go from them new born nymph to a adult. We roach keepers often call them "pet dirt" due to the fact that they spend a lot of time in the substrate, only to emerge when hungry or thirsty.

#7 Offline specimen24-6 - Posted October 15 2015 - 6:34 PM

specimen24-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Domino roach anatomy 101
How tell if it's a boy or girl (sorry for the bad pick)

image.jpg

On the left, you see the male, you can tell by the fact that the wings overlap the the abdomen also they show some behavior aspects, I'm not sure if it vary from individual but the male tends to be the one who is quick to escape.
On the right, you see the female, her abdomen is about the same length as her wings. She is more calm and would rather stay with the substrate.
Now they won't breed yet, it will take a few weeks until I see some egg cases. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users