• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mold Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Slimjim - Posted October 8 2015 - 7:31 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOrlando Florida
Hi,
I am a newbie and I got this build Off YouTube before I found this site.I was surprised to see that the person that inspired my Formicarium was a member here. Her name is Crystal.
Many thanks for the inspiration Crystal.The Formicarium is made from a plaster found at hobby lobby, She used sanded grout and unsanded grout.
I have seen her paint on grout in her fire brick model.
My question is,Can I use this method in this Formicarium ?( painting a layer on grout in tunnel area to resist mold?
I haven't finished painting and drilling entrance yet.
I also picked up this round acrylic ..cake pan?? Or Flat bowl with stand.Not sure what it was for but it looks like a great out world project .
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Slimjim
JR.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted October 8 2015 - 4:09 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Thanks for the compliments.  :D

The outworld will be good as long as you have a good escape barrier (since I don't see a lid).

Most of the time, it is hard to get the glass off of the nest with no damage to the nest or glass.  If it can be easily removed, you can "paint" a layer of grout, but I am not sure how well it will hold up.  Plaster gets pretty soft when watered, and the grout may crack or crumble off.  You would also have no way of knowing if mold was growing between the grout and plaster layers.  I am not sure it is a good idea, I have seen how fast average plaster molds, and if mold started growing on the plaster under the grout you would have no way to see it. 

But I have also seen journals with plaster nests that went years without mold.  My personal suggestion is to use it as it is until a mold outbreak develops, if you are interested in a grout nest, you then have time to practice building some.

On a side note, where is the water chamber on the plaster nest?  Or is it one that sits in a shallow pan and water is added to the pan when it is time to water the nest?

PS. If you ever want to post larger pictures, you can use an external free host like photobucket or Flickr - http://www.formicult...sting-pictures/

Shhhh...  :secret:   There will be a new photo grout tutorial posted sometime in the coming week on how to make a grout nest with advanced hydration.  It will be posted in the List of Handy Links when it comes out.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Slimjim - Posted October 9 2015 - 5:44 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
Thank you for the quick response .
The H2O chamber is in the center left ( kind of a side ways tear drop ) I ran a 1/4 inch feed tube inside plaster.
Is this chamber O.K. for hydration ?If not..I can drill it into the main nest for them to use for what they please.
I can install a water dish somewhere else ..If this chamber is not adequate.
I have not drilled entrance as of yet.
I will use it the way it is ...Instead of installing grout on plaster.
I will be introducing Messer Ebeninus when It's finished .
Thank you for your advice.
Kindly,
J.R.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 6:23 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Ah, that explains the hydration chamber.  I thought that was the nest entrance.  My bad. :D

That will work well as a hydration chamber.

With Messor species, or Veromessor, keep a close eye on them.  They are very good at chewing through things.  They chewed through firebrick on Drew on more than one occasion.  Plaster is much softer than firebrick. 

I would highly suggest getting some steel mesh and epoxying it on the backs and sides of the plaster nest, just in case they are fast diggers.  Take care to join and epoxy all the joints and corners.  A cheap way to get steel mesh is to go to the dollar store and buy a frying pan splash cover and just steal the mesh off of it.  :D

If there are only a handful of workers, you should be able to see them digging before they get out.  A larger colony might be more ambitous.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#5 Offline Slimjim - Posted October 11 2015 - 7:59 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
Thank you for the heads up on the Messor info.
I have decided to build a grout nest as per your video.
On a different note,I watched your video on finding queens.I went out to the store for a soda and saw a fallen tree.I peeled bark off and found a Camponotus with a very small colony.
She had maybe 10 workers .I wasn't prepared to Queen hunt so I didn't have tubes or anything.I picked her up and headed for the truck.The only thing I had was a Tupperware bowl my wife had left in car.I put her with all her workers,eggs,brood,in Tupperware bowl.
When I got home ,I site was down ,I couldn't get into forum .I place an test tube with water chamber inside bowl.
I wasn't sure if I should try to place her in tube or in Formicarium.They are still in a warm dark closet in total darkness now.
Any suggestions would be great.
I'm not sure which way to go with her?
Thanks,
J.R.

#6 Offline Slimjim - Posted October 11 2015 - 9:35 AM

Slimjim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The site was down"...not...I site was down.
Sorry,I should have proof read before post.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted October 11 2015 - 11:50 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Nice find!  :D

Glad you got the workers and brood.

A test tube will work well until you get a small formicarium.  I have had Camponotus colonies with over 35 workers in a test tube with no issues.  I just put their test tube in a foraging area for easy feding.

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users