• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants of Roanoke.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 7 2023 - 11:05 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I'm going down too Roanoke for a family reunion soon and I will definitely be anting in a few weeks there for species that are more southern. Like twig ants, trachymyrmex septentrionalis and maybe fire ants. What other ants should I expect when I'm down there.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2023 - 1:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is further south, but also higher elevation, so I doubt the climate and ant diversity is that different. You could find some cool Formica perhaps?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 7 2023 - 3:47 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Okay. I've been wanting parasitic Formica like exsectoides for a while.

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 18 2023 - 10:04 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
In heading down their now. There was a miscommunication so it's going to be in the mountains by the Appalachian trail. I'm going to be looking for Temnothorax and parasitic Formica. There may be limited service so I will update this very limited this along the way.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 18 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 19 2023 - 4:22 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
End of the first day. I cought three queen ants in the first hour. One Formica Pallidefulva group queen, one mymrica sp, and one Pheidole I believe Tysoni. I came and immediately saw a Formica slave raid on some poor negates group.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2023 - 4:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Will you sell any Formica?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 19 2023 - 6:28 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
I will probably sell the Pallidefulva and if I catch any slave raiders. Do you want them?

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2023 - 6:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool. Just looking for standard Formica.

#9 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 19 2023 - 11:06 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Day two:
My phone's about to die so I will do it now. I went on a hike and finally found Temnothorax I caught two acorn full worth of ants. On the same hike I found a small two worker Camponotus colony. I initially I thought they were Pennsylvanicus but the queen has red on her underside so idk.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 19 2023 - 1:24 PM.

#10 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 19 2023 - 11:09 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Slave raider nest preparing for a raid. With neogate slaves.IMG_20230719_124224622_HDR.jpg IMG_20230719_124234044.jpg

#11 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 20 2023 - 1:42 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Day three:
Last night after my phone died I saw a small ant war. I kinda stopped looking for queens because I'm out of space but the last test tube I put another Formica Pallidefulva queen. I still have no intent of keeping them do if you want them pm me. (Drew I know you want one but your last post made it s little vague if you wanted to buy this one).

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 20 2023 - 1:42 PM.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 20 2023 - 3:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I do want one of them!

#13 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 21 2023 - 3:05 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Last update:
Day four nothing really happened with ants but today is a totally different story. Day five we were preparing to go for a hike when I saw 3 more mymrica queens right next to each other I think they were tandem running to found together. I placed then with my other mymrica queen.

IMG_20230721_181222250_HDR.jpg
On the hike I found many cool ants mostly Aphaenogaster picea but also prenolepis imparis and brachymyrmex depilis.
Look at these chonks
IMG_20230721_111938002_HDR.jpg DR.jpg]
I checked up on all the ants while driving back and one of the Formica queens laid two eggs and is guarding them fiercely. The mymrica queens seem to be dragging one around and the Camponotus have gotten a new worker and a new one on the way.
Does anyone know what species? They look like Pennsylvanicus but the queen has red on her underside.

IMG_20230719_120852935_HDR.jpg
  • ANTdrew likes this

#14 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 21 2023 - 3:58 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
I forgot to add this to my last post but I found what I think to be a queen ant. It was a very small 1-2mm with a long gaster it seemed to be ergatoid because it was in the middle of mating with a winged male and it didn't have wings. It disappeared before I could take a picture or capture it. It looked like a neivamyrmex queen but tiny and has a pointy gaster. What could this be??

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 21 2023 - 4:02 PM.

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I need to make a trip to Roanoke!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users