• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rattus' Lasius flavus journal 2015

rattus lasius flavus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rattus - Posted September 14 2015 - 4:43 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

I decided to publish and continue my Lasius flavus journal here. Also, I am going to update it at least every week from now.

Lasius flavus journal.

Year 2015

30 May

I went out in the afternoon. Dug up a few parches of thick moss (where a dirt pile was) with hands and surprisingly (no nuptial flights seen) managed to catch two young Lasius Flavus queens(~7mm). Filled up half of  the glass basin(10x15x10) with their natural soil, which I gathered near. Put some clay (pebble-like) in the corners, all the way from the bottom till the top (approx. 1-2cm diameter). And then filled 0.5 cm on top with dry sand-loam. Then put 3 dark-colored pebbles in the corner and put two queens in, which seemed energetic and healthy. They wandered around for about 10 minutes till both started founding their colony together under those three pebbles. After a while they dug out a chamber or two near the glass wall. I put some type of paper to cover it from light. Seems that I have a polygyne colony starting here.

31 May

I keep them in a room temperature, which is about +23.5Celsius. The other queen seems to have moved a bit more towards the center of the basin. Only one queen is visible near the glass, but still not that clear as yesterday. I hope to see some eggs in the near future, in about a week or so, but theese species are known to have really small eggs and larvae, as they are small anyway. Poured a drop of water or two on the clay, should be enough for a month, because humidity now is about 85%. No water seems to condensate on the walls and there is a ventilation provided with a mesh in the middle of the lid.

7 June

I don’t see any of my two queens. Soil seems to be dug differently though. No mold in the basin, some plants started to grow, for instance, 1cm of moss in the corner.

1 September

I had to clean the formicarium because I thought that there is some sort of fungus growing near the glass and when I slowly removed all the dirt it was clear that one queen has died(or eaten, I can’t find her), but the other queen has her first small worker(~2mm) and there is one more pupae and some eggs.

Moved them to a small container. Put some sugar-water in there.

7 September

Container room temp. ~+22Celsius, Humidity 70%. Offered them small spider, which has been in freezer for a day.

8 September

I don’t think they have touched spider, but they might have in the night. Removed it anyway, I don’t want any unwanted „guests” in my formicarium.

14 September

The colony has moved to a plastic tube. Gave them 1 spider and a piece of pollen. Also, I offered them a bit of honey a few days ago, seems that they have tried it, but now as they moved to their tube, I removed and cleaned arena, which was their emergency home. The queen is 8mm and the nanitic is 3mm (measured with a ruler).

PGB43320.jpg

PGB43324.jpg

PGB43326.jpg

Edited by Rattus, September 15 2015 - 9:17 AM.

#2 Offline Rattus - Posted September 24 2015 - 3:18 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

UPDATE 24th September

The young colony of Lasius flavus is doing quite well, I hope that they have touched any bug I gave them or at least some honey. The first worker seems to be trying to cut out the second worker from its cocoon(I think so and I am going to update after ~7 hours). Also, they have about 4-5 eggs now, but I can't really tell, because they are on/ near the cotton.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted September 24 2015 - 6:01 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice young colony.

Did you cut up the spider, or poke a needle through it?  I find young Lasius colonies have problems with whole prey.

Mine always loved spiders, mealworms, crickets, sugar water, and especially fruit flies (or similar sized flies).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Rattus - Posted September 24 2015 - 11:48 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

Yes, I did cut up the spider after removing it from the freezer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the new worker has been cut out of its pupa and it seems to be alright, it has yet to darken in color though. The worker has light yellowish color and it is about the same size as the first worker.

PGB13333_2.jpg

Edited by Rattus, September 25 2015 - 2:10 AM.

#5 Offline Rattus - Posted October 5 2015 - 2:38 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

UPDATE 5th October

The colony is doing well, they have a bunch of eggs. I have been feeding them with some honey, now a slice of apple is in the tube.

#6 Offline Rattus - Posted October 12 2015 - 9:06 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

UPDATE 12th October

They have a larger pile of eggs now. So far they have been eating different types of honey and some apple.

#7 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted October 12 2015 - 5:18 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

How many workers do they have now?

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#8 Offline Rattus - Posted October 13 2015 - 9:48 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

How many workers do they have now?

Just two, I hope there will be more after hibernation.

#9 Offline Rattus - Posted April 2 2016 - 1:26 PM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

UPDATE 2nd April

Removed from hibernation. Unfortunately, the queen has died, but 2 workers are still alive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rattus, lasius flavus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users