• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Quadruple Camponotus queens (separate colonies)

journal camponotus novaeboracensis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antperson31 - Posted June 9 2024 - 1:11 PM

Antperson31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello all, 

This journal is going to be about 4 Camponotus queens that I have caught, I am also new to ant keeping so any suggestions are appreciated.

Currently I believe 3 out of 4 of the Queens have brood in some stage with the one I's most hopeful for has at least one larvae. I do plan on giving these colonies their own separate journals if they make past the founding stage, which I definitely hope they do. I currently have them in test tube setups covered with tinfoil to block the light, I also have a heat cable over all of their setups to help them develop quicker (as I have heard Camponotus develop quite slowly) the Heat cable also helps them stay warm in my Basement which is quite cold. I believe they are Noveborancensis due to the kind of red abdomens although I am not completely sure (Here is the Ant ID request if you're interested https://www.formicul...pm/#entry239668). Anyways, for now that's all but I'll make sure to update this sometime late next week when I check in on them again.

Note: first two images are of the first queen third is of the second, fourth is of the third and so on.

Thanks,

Antperson31

Attached Images

• IMG_9198.JPG
  • IMG_9195.JPG
  • IMG_9210.JPG
  • IMG_9226.JPG
  • IMG_9227.JPG

Edited by Antperson31, June 9 2024 - 1:13 PM.

• Karma and BleepingBleepers like this

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 10 2024 - 6:33 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Nice! Looks like C. Modoc, although not sure. Hope they get past the founding stage! If you're sorta new to ant keeping, I'll give you some tips:

A. Keep them moisturized. Test tube set-up is great.

B. Once the first workers arrive, connect the test tube to an outworld so they can forage. It doesn't have to be too small, just big enough for them to wander around a bit. Keep the outworld dry so they don't nest in it. 

C. Camponotus are usually fully claustral, meaning they rely on muscle tissue (and, fun fact, some parts of their brain) to feed their larvae. You won't need to feed her until the first workers, who are called nanitics, arrive. 

E. Camponotus brood typically take around a month and a half in ideal conditions to grow to full worker. Don't worry too much if they seem to take a long time. 

I dunno if you know that stuff or not, just putting it out there in case you wanted to know anything.

Good luck!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (polygynous 2 queen + brood)

Camponotus Modoc (single queen + brood)

Camponotus Vicinus (two single queens + brood)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~60+ workers)

Tetramorium immigrans (single queen)

Temporarily keeping IdioticMouse26's ants/tarantula until August 12th as he is away. Thanks IM26!

#3 Offline Antperson31 - Posted June 15 2024 - 11:29 AM

Antperson31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi all,

It's that time of week again! Which means even more photos of the queens. Also thank you Stubyvast for the great advice although I do have one more question, what do you think I should feed them? As I am not exactly sure, although I know you should feed some sort of sugar for the first meal I don't know if I should feed them Sugar water, Honey water or some other food. Anyways, the pictures of the ants are attached below and their nanitics look quite close to arriving!! Similar to last time the first two images are of the first queen, second two are of the second and so on. Unfortunately it seems as if the 4th queen is either unfertilized or has   decided not to lay eggs , although 3 out of 4 queens is really good in my opinion. Sooo, that's it I guess see you next week.

Thanks,

Antperson31

Attached Images

• IMG_9742.JPG
  • IMG_9744.JPG
  • IMG_9747.JPG
  • IMG_9752.JPG
  • IMG_9753.JPG
  • IMG_9760.JPG
  • IMG_9761.JPG
  • IMG_9763.JPG

• Karma likes this

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted June 15 2024 - 11:54 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I feed mine and sorts of liquid sugar. Mostly honeywater.

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline Antperson31 - Posted June 24 2024 - 3:29 PM

Antperson31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello all,

Exciting news!! Three of my four queens now have nanitics!! I have moved them into tubes in tubs setups and I have fed them all sugar water for their first meal. Like usual the photos of the queens below are in this order: first two pictures are of the first queen, second two are of the second and so on. Fortunately the fourth queen finally decided to lay and has brood now so it should be another week or so until she has nanitics. Also, sorry about my slight lateness as I had a really tiring weekend and I kind of just relaxed for the entirety of late Sunday. Also if any of you have any name suggestions for the colonies I am all ears!

Thanks,

Antperson31

Attached Images

• PXL_20240623_190130730.jpg
  • PXL_20240620_233829975.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190535414.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190552550.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190614544.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190619379.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190641690.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20240623_190657614.jpg

• Karma likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, camponotus novaeboracensis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users