• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Double Journal: Campontous vicinus & modoc (small update)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 5 2024 - 6:55 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

My first ever ant journal! I'm very excited! Sadly, I don't have any records of the freshly caught queens, because I wasn't a member of this amazing website, so my queens are about 3 weeks into keeping. I have attempted to keep camponotus in the past, but failed, I was new to antkeeping that time(I didn't know what a test tube setup was and put the queen straight into an ant nest I bought from amazon). I really hope I can succeed this time.

So, to provide a bit of context, I caught my modoc literally at my doorstep, and the vicinus was later given to me by my friend stubyvast. I immediatly put them in a test tube setup, and they both laid eggs the very next day! Right now, they both have a healthy amount of larvae and eggs. Around 10-12 each. And the brood is developing rather quickly, whenever I check on them, they double in size! I decided to call the modoc Antoinette, and vicinus Vin(from the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Any fans out there?) They both have different personalities, Antoinette is more shy and paranoid, as she panics at the slightest vibration, but Vin does not care! Unless I seriously disturb her, she keeps her cool. 

I'll upload every week or two, unless something interesting comes up. 

Here are some photos:

Antoinette(Modoc):

PXL_20240606_024954243.MP.jpg

Vin(Vicinus):

PXL_20240606_025233541.jpg

Edit: just changed a typo on my title

Edit no.2: Nevermind, it's Vin who's shy, not Antoinette. Antoinette wouldn't want people getting the wrong impression ;)

Edited by IdioticMouse26, Yesterday, 7:04 PM.

• Karma, Stubyvast, Izzy and 1 other like this

#2 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 10 2024 - 4:10 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Woohoo! Exciting news! One of Antoinette's larvae spun a cocoon! I'm so happy that there's already a cocoon! It's a little fast, I think. Usually Campontus taks 6-12 weeks from egg to adult, mine only took a month or so.

Anyway, Vin's also doing great, her larvae got much bigger and I exepect cocoons soon. I think she's taking longer not only because she started a little late, vicinus are slightly bigger than modocs.

Pictures: 

Antoinette:

(You can see the cocoon at lower right beside Antoinette's head)

PXL_20240611_000051565.jpg

Vin:

PXL_20240611_000202259.jpg

Will update once the worker emerges.

• Karma and BleepingBleepers like this

#3 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted Yesterday, 7:03 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Just a small update: Antoinette has four cocoons now! Exciting! I unfortunatly don't have any pictures because I only glanced her when I was feeding my myrmica rubra(I keep them on the same cabinet), and didn't want to disturbe her. 

Like I said above, I'll update once the first worker emerges.

• Karma likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users