• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

brood boosting captive pogonomyrmex with wild pogonomyrmex larvae/ pupae

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 6:34 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I have a P. californicus tube colony in which brood never seems to fully develop. The larvae always reach pupae but then die shortly after due to weird reasons. One time the pupae had *just* eclosed but then spontaneously died and dried out and was shoved in a corner, another time the pupae started turning blue and then shriveled up because of a fungus. Just weird random things happening. The queen and two nanitic workers have a tiny pile of eggs that don't seem to have developed much in the weeks I've had them. I don't get if it's something I'm doing wrong or what, but I know I am going to an area today that I have seen lots of Pogonomyrmex living in, and I got to thinking: If I dig up a few of the brood of a single wild colony, would I be able to brood boost my captive one just so that they have more workers to care for the eggs and forage. Would doing this possibly have my eggs/ larvae/ pupae survive better? How would I go about brood boosting, as I am still relatively new to the hobby. It's very frustrating to lose the two things without having them develop fully.

Edited by klawfran3, September 6 2015 - 6:37 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline William. T - Posted September 6 2015 - 8:30 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Do it, since some queens are bad parents.

• AntsTexas likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 6 2015 - 10:06 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

First you need to get brood from a pogonomyrmex colony that is the same sp. as yours or almost identical.

Second you have to do your very best to make sure the brood has no mites or mite eggs.

Third put the brood by your colony and see if they accept. You must make sure they accept the brood. Don't put it by their brood let the workers discover it.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 1:20 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I just spent three hours digging around a Pogonomyrmex colony and the only thing to show for it is a hand covered in stings. I'll try again in a bit. Why wouldn't I put it in with their existing brood though? Wouldn't that make them think it was their brood?

Edited by klawfran3, September 6 2015 - 1:33 PM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 6 2015 - 1:51 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

The reason you don't want to do that is because they might not accept the brood. Thus, when the workers from the brood boost eclose they might attack the colony. I've had this happen to me before with a formica queen.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#6 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 2:23 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Huh. That's relatively... unsettling. Shame I didn't find any brood though.

How deep do pogonomyrmex keep their brood? I ended up hitting a bunch of grain stores but no brood. I got about a foot down before I had to stop because my hand and trowel were being swarmed. At least I'm not allergic to their stings.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted September 6 2015 - 3:00 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Pogonomyrmex are flexible. Drew had a mixed worker colony. I think the brood are very deep so they will not be dehydrated. 

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 3:52 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Pogonomyrmex are flexible. Drew had a mixed worker colony. I think the brood are very deep so they will not be dehydrated. 

ok so I don't think I'll be able to brood boost since they're so deep. No way I'll be able to dig them up without getting attacked again.

#9 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 6 2015 - 4:07 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Try using a large shovel and an aspirator with a filter to prevent inhaling dirt or anything else for that matter.  You can dig deep and quickly and then collect what you are after without getting stung all over. just a thought....I even just use the aspirator and sucked up all the workers and placed them in a holding jar to prevent so many of them running about.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#10 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 6 2015 - 5:54 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I'll be going to Kenneth Hahn this friday for an interview, I'll bring a shovel and a home made aspirator and dig around when I'm done to see if that works. I'm pretty worried about the queen by now; I just found a dent in her gaster.

#11 Offline Subverted - Posted September 7 2015 - 11:36 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Can you snap a photo of your current setup for the queen? I have had a few problems with pupae/nanitics and Pogonomyrmex...but nothing that lasted as long as it sounds your problems are.

Sorry to hear the queen isn't doing better for you!

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#12 Offline AntsTexas - Posted September 7 2015 - 1:23 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

wait for the "big move" to get some eggs/brood if they move or wait 2 dig after it rains.....

Edited by AntsTexas, September 7 2015 - 1:24 PM.

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#13 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 7 2015 - 5:38 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Can you snap a photo of your current setup for the queen? I have had a few problems with pupae/nanitics and Pogonomyrmex...but nothing that lasted as long as it sounds your problems are.

Sorry to hear the queen isn't doing better for you!

Here is the setup, same as when you gave it to me. http://imgur.com/HjzEYwk

She seems to use the entirety of the sides as a bathroom though, so excuse the blurry/bad photo. You can see the nanitic workers are still doing fine.

#14 Offline Subverted - Posted September 8 2015 - 2:43 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Hrm... well now I am more confused than ever. Maybe dump her and the worker out, clean the tube, and give her some new water/cotton.

that's what I would do and beyond that I am at a loss. Hopefully she stops being a pain.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#15 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 8 2015 - 4:30 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Hrm... well now I am more confused than ever. Maybe dump her and the worker out, clean the tube, and give her some new water/cotton.

that's what I would do and beyond that I am at a loss. Hopefully she stops being a pain.

I'm going to be ordering new test tubes from amazon soon, I'm just waiting for Formula Blue 100 to come back in to stock so I don't have to pay shipping. I'll see if she'll transfer herself in to a new tube when they get here.

#16 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 10 2015 - 12:30 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I just had the queen transfer in to a new test tube. I have a feeling that she's been eating eggs and larvae too because there was a small pile of them a few days ago and now I can't even find more than two or three.

Edited by klawfran3, September 10 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#17 Offline Crystals - Posted September 10 2015 - 1:10 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

How often have you been feeding them, and what have you been feeding them?

I usually offer my various species a tiny drop of sugar water every 3 days on a tin foil plate.

Also, what temperature are you keeping them at?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#18 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 10 2015 - 10:05 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Every two days I give them a droplet of honey, a crushed seed, and sometimes a cut up roach nymph.

They are kept in total darkness at around 74-80 F.

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 10 2015 - 10:35 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You should put the test tube into a plastic container with a thing layer of sand on the bottom, just make sure the sand is sterile. You should not need any barrier, considering these are Pogonomyrmex californicus (the species of ant that cannot climb sandpaper if its existence was on the line.)

#20 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 11 2015 - 6:14 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

You should put the test tube into a plastic container with a thing layer of sand on the bottom, just make sure the sand is sterile. You should not need any barrier, considering these are Pogonomyrmex californicus (the species of ant that cannot climb sandpaper if its existence was on the line.)

So basically give them an outworld? Wouldn't that increase their stress level though, being exposed and not enclosed anymore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users