• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

WTB Atta texanna fungus San antonio texas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Artimusclydeperez - Posted May 13 2024 - 1:15 PM

Artimusclydeperez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

i found 3 queens and they are all together laying eggs but they did not have their fungus pellets any one around san antonio with a colony i can get some starter fungus from?

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted May 14 2024 - 7:51 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I don’t have any fungus as I’m not from the A. texana range (I live in Pennsylvania although I did wish that I got Atta and Acromyrmex around here) so all my knowledge is from others on this forum or just general articles and videos. Anyways there was old post on this forum that I found when searching up about their fungus pellets and it mentions that they use trophic eggs to make them. Perhaps your 3 queens have failed to produce trophic eggs to create the pellet. He mentions that he doesn’t know how the fungus differentiates the two kinds of eggs (trophic and fertile eggs) but that's why I believe they have lost their fungus. Just wanted to throw it out cause it’s always good to know the cause. Anyways good luck and hopefully your queens do well!

Keeping:

2x - S. molesta (colonies)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding)  (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)           1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  (y) New!

2x - F. pallidefulva (colonies)             1x T. sessile (mega colony)

2x - C. cerasi (colonies)  workers are here!  :yahoo:

1x - B. depilis (founding but no eggs)

4x - P. imparis (colonies)  Unfortunately no multi queen P. imparis colonies as all of the queens died due to fungus infection (assumed). RIP  :( 

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 14 2024 - 11:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,585 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Atta do not make fungus pellets out of trophic eggs.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted May 14 2024 - 12:52 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

One of the articles (from 2022) stated not very clearly though but not with too much doubt that they were created from trophic eggs. Perhaps a typo of some sort then.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, May 14 2024 - 12:53 PM.

Keeping:

2x - S. molesta (colonies)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding)  (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)           1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  (y) New!

2x - F. pallidefulva (colonies)             1x T. sessile (mega colony)

2x - C. cerasi (colonies)  workers are here!  :yahoo:

1x - B. depilis (founding but no eggs)

4x - P. imparis (colonies)  Unfortunately no multi queen P. imparis colonies as all of the queens died due to fungus infection (assumed). RIP  :( 

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Online bmb1bee - Posted May 14 2024 - 1:43 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

One of the articles (from 2022) stated not very clearly though but not with too much doubt that they were created from trophic eggs. Perhaps a typo of some sort then.

A source would be helpful. Fungus pellets =/= trophic eggs though, as fungus pellets are carried in the mouth by female alates prior to leaving the nest.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see."
- Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

Also check out my YouTube channel: @bmb1bee

#6 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 14 2024 - 1:57 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Alates take a fungal pellet from the fungal colony of their parent colony. After mating when they begin digging they let go of it once their chamber is deep enough. This is where Atta and Acromyrmex differentiate in founding styles. Acromyrmex (versicolor at least) go out and forage for material to give their fungus. Atta on the other hand use waste to feed their fungal garden (they are fully claustral).
  • bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#7 Offline Artimusclydeperez - Posted May 16 2024 - 2:11 PM

Artimusclydeperez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Update after 2 weeks looks like they managed to start their own fungus tell me if u can see it
Also are y’all saying it’s best to take the leaves I out in out till the nanitics arrive?

Attached Images

• IMG_4653.jpeg

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 16 2024 - 2:47 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Take the leaves out. Atta are fully claustral and the leaves will not be touched by any of the queens. The leaves will sit, rot, and then kill the queens so yes definitely take the leaves out. Only put leaves in with ants such as Acromyrmex versicolor who are actually semi-claustral and will in fact leave their chambers and forage.
  • bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#9 Offline Artimusclydeperez - Posted May 16 2024 - 6:44 PM

Artimusclydeperez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Done. Ty for the advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users