• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Billy's 2015 4 queen Myrmica ruginodis

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 9:11 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationIsle of Wight, England

I actually have 4 tubes of M. ruginodis queens, all collected on the 21st of August. 3 of them have 3 queens each, and the other has 4. I chose to do a journal of the latter, because 4 queens seems more interesting than 3 queens. 

Since collecting them, I have kept this "colony" confined to its test tube. I fed them in the tube as well as I could, which was difficult because the queens seemed to spend most of their time on the dry cotton bung. Today, I put the tube in a foraging arena and pulled out the bung. I dropped in a little apple flesh, and some bits of a defrosted Lasius niger queen that I found dead after the nuptial flights. Three of the queens promptly exited the tube and snuggled up next to it, two of them eventually doing some exploring. I saw one find the apple, but she gave it little attention before moving on, perhaps because I gave them all some sugary egg white last night. At this point, I'm slightly worried that most of the ants may have abandoned the interior of the test tube in favour of sitting next to it. Surely they'll eventually rejoin the remaining queen in their home eventually?

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted September 1 2015 - 9:36 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Do you have a picture? 

New queens, especially semi claustral species, do tend to wander a fair bit.  I am surprised that they are not in the test tube against the damp cotton.  Unless something, like more desireable temperatures, have lead them elsewhere.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted September 1 2015 - 9:40 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Got any square test tubes? :lol:

Kinda noticed this too with Myrmica they just don't like test tubes or something when I tried moving a chunk of a wild colony into a tube I had to get rid of everything else because a piece of tin foil is as good as any test tube to them. I found out the ones here really like dirt but putting to much dirt in their tubes causes a mess.

Edited by LC3, September 1 2015 - 9:41 AM.

#4 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 9:45 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I don't have any pics yet, but I can take some. The M. ruginodis queens from other tubes do seem to be staying near the damp cotton. This bunch seems to be different for some reason. I can't see why there would be a temperature difference.

#5 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 9:48 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Got any square test tubes? :lol:

Kinda noticed this too with Myrmica they just don't like test tubes or something when I tried moving a chunk of a wild colony into a tube I had to get rid of everything else because a piece of tin foil is as good as any test tube to them. I found out the ones here really like dirt but putting to much dirt in their tubes causes a mess.

Unfortunately I don't have any square test tubes, but I doubt even that would help much! 

Hmm, yes, maybe I'll make some dirt available so they can narrow the entrance to the tube. That might make them more comfortable there.

#6 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 10:10 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

S93r1qb.jpg

SbdkaQJ.jpg

WF4VD11.jpg

I just took some photos. Now there are only 2 queens out of the tube, which is good. Sorry if the photos are too large.

#7 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 12:11 PM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

And now all 4 of them are out and about. :( I suppose I'll just have to trust that they know what's best for them.

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted September 1 2015 - 12:17 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

At least keep a wet cotton ball out or something so they don't get dehydrated, not sure about European Myrmica but the ones here get dehydrated easily and don't like smooth plastic containers with nothingness in them.

#9 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 12:26 PM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

They seem to be able to find their way back to the tube easily enough, so they can drink from that if they're thirsty. If they don't settle in in a day or two, I'll probably give them some dry dirt to take to the test tube.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted September 1 2015 - 12:31 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

My Myrmica have never had a problem with test tubes.

I would move the test tube, so that it is leaning against a wall, with the opening close to a corner.

My other thought, are you sure that they are all the same species?

Myrmica are usually in a habit of shedding their wings after a flight, so they may be infertile (and restless).  But I have seen winged fertile Myrmcia queens before, so anything is possible.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline Billy - Posted September 1 2015 - 3:12 PM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

But maybe if I move the tube, they won't be able to find their way back to it. 

I am not sure if they're all the same species. I have only identified one specimen. It would be difficult to tell for sure unless I killed them all.

I have wondered why they haven't shed their wings (in fact none of the queens I collected have), because I caught most of them right after I watched them mate. Perhaps they would have preferred to mate with more males.

Edited by Billy, September 2 2015 - 2:52 AM.

#12 Offline Billy - Posted September 2 2015 - 3:34 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I decided to follow your advice. I moved the test tube so that the entrance was very close to the corner in which they had decided to huddle. One queen immediately went to the wet cotton. 

As a side note, one of the 3-queen colonies is now a 2-queen colony. :( One drowned in a drop of condensation next to its test tube. I have modified the lids to the tubs of the non-4-queen colonies to greatly improve their ventilation, and added strips of cotton to go between the tube and the wall.

Damn, semi-claustral queens are challenging.  :facepalm:

Edited by Billy, September 2 2015 - 3:35 AM.

#13 Offline Billy - Posted September 2 2015 - 4:20 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Okay, so after her brief death, she decided it didn't suit her and went for a walk. So that begs the question - is she a lich or a wraith? :D

• BrittonLS likes this

#14 Offline Billy - Posted September 2 2015 - 10:54 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

One of the queens appears to have an egg in her jaws! :D I can't get a photo yet, because my camera's battery is charging, but I will when I can if they're not in their tube by then.

#15 Offline Billy - Posted September 2 2015 - 2:25 PM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

The original egg is no longer visible, but I have confirmed that at least one queen is laying eggs! :) 

wmaseCM.jpg

NPSUTeR.jpg

• Ants4fun likes this

#16 Offline Ants4fun - Posted September 2 2015 - 8:50 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Great pics!!! If you observed them mate, then their almost certainly fertile. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to shed their wings. Sometimes when they are seperated they will shed as well.
  • Billy likes this

#17 Offline Billy - Posted September 3 2015 - 4:30 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Thanks, Ants4fun. 

All the queens just relocated to the damp cotton in the test tube. Whether this is permanent or they're just getting a drink, I'm not sure.

#18 Offline Billy - Posted September 5 2015 - 7:32 AM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Okay, so I moved them into a clean test tube, because I think there was something sticky on the floor of the original one. The queens seem to have settled into it now. I have offered some banana.

Edited by Billy, September 5 2015 - 7:32 AM.

#19 Offline Billy - Posted March 10 2016 - 4:40 PM

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I just took this lot out of hibernation. Unfortunately, one queen appears to be dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users