• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

dboeren's Camponotus floridanus journal

32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dboeren - Posted February 27 2024 - 12:46 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

This is my first ant colony and C. floridanus seems to not get a lot written about them so I thought it might be useful to write this journal.

I got interested in ant keeping during the winter so there were not a lot of in-stock options for ant species.  Out of the available choices I picked C. floridanus because they didn't need diapause, they are somewhat large, and they don't have any stingers or other traits I perceived as negatives.  My goal was to have a colony I could keep on my work desk in order to watch them while I'm working, so it was important that they wouldn't be taking 3-4 months of the year off.  Also, most Camponotus species are slow growing and C. floridanus is considered to reproduce fast "for a Camponotus" so I won't have to wait as long to see the colony grow.  They aren't quite as big as most Camponotus though.

For housing I got a Tarheel Mini-Hearth and when I hooked up their test tube they moved in after a day or so.  This is a formicarium with a lower nest and upper outworld connected by a short tube.  The initial colony was the queen plus 8 workers.

As with all beginners, there are mistakes and learning curves.  I lost one worker that got stuck and drowned in a drop of honey.  Now I know that it needs to be watered down.  I try to rotate between sugar water, honey water, and the ant food powder I got from Tarheel.

For their protein I first bought some small crickets at Petsmart but I ran into an issue where they shoved the remains in a corner of the nest rather than throwing it away in the outworld where it's easy to pick up.  After a while I noticed it was growing some sort of green mold on it, and fortunately was able to slide the front glass out of the way to clean it out with a Q-tip without any escapes.  Since then I have switched to medium Dubia which conveniently are too big to fit down the tube so they have to eat them in the outworld and this has simplified cleanup.  I have been told that when they have more workers they will be less inclined to leave remains in the nest but I like to play it safe - I've heard that mold can sometimes kill a colony.

After this things were going well, there are 8 pupae that I'm waiting to see them hatch into new workers (which would bring me to 15) and a pile of eggs as well.  I generally shine a light or take a cellphone pic every day or so to see how the brood is looking.

This morning we had a new problem.  I was doing maintenance, which was refilling their humidity water, giving them new honey water, and swapping out the eaten Dubia for a freshly killed one.  Several ants smelled the Dubia and came out to get it.  They tried lifting it to carry down the tube (which won't work because it's too big) but in the process they dropped it in their sugar water "bowl" which is just a small piece of aluminum foil and overflowed all the honey water all over the floor of the outworld.

Talking to people in the discord, I was advised that I needed to clean this up or else it could grow mold or other undesirable stuff.  Fortunately this wasn't hard.  I just waited until everyone was in the lower nest, took everything out, and used an old 1" paintbrush to mop water all over and then blotted it up with a paper towel.  I repeated this a total of three times and then put their stuff back in.  To prevent this from happening again I'm moving their sugar water bowl further away from where I put the insect protein and I'll keep a close eye out for anything growing.

Other than a couple of minor bumps though, everything is going well and hopefully I'll be writing back soon with new of all the new workers hatching out.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 27 2024 - 2:17 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
This sounds very exciting! Looking forward to seeing this colony grow!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline dboeren - Posted February 29 2024 - 1:48 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Today is the 1 month ant-iversary of my colony, so they decided to surprise me with a bunch of new workers hatching out. Before I had 7 workers, now I’m counting I think 12 or 13 and a couple more pupae left. Plus, one of them might be a major? I need to figure out how to post a pic here…

#4 Offline dboeren - Posted February 29 2024 - 1:51 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, I think this will work?IMG_6198.jpeg
  • futurebird, Ernteameise and Artisan_Ants like this

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 29 2024 - 4:34 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Wow you’re very lucky. I guess this species tis new to get majors fast, or maybe you fed them a lot of protein to get a major. I have my own C. chromaiodes colony, and they have about 22 workers (more are on their way after diapause) and I’m hoping one of them is a major.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted February 29 2024 - 5:10 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

How interesting! I'm glad the colony is doing well. They look just like those little carpenter ants that like to scurry across my garden.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#7 Offline dboeren - Posted February 29 2024 - 5:28 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Wow you’re very lucky. I guess this species tis new to get majors fast, or maybe you fed them a lot of protein to get a major. I have my own C. chromaiodes colony, and they have about 22 workers (more are on their way after diapause) and I’m hoping one of them is a major.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting one this soon but I'll certainly take it.  I give them a medium dubia around once a week, that's their protein source and they seem to prefer it over the sugar water.  I hope that the major visits the outworld sometime soon so I can really get a good look at her.  I'd love to get a quality pic of the major next to a normal worker for a size comparison too.

The downside is I feel like this might spoil me against ant species that don't have majors :)

#8 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 1 2024 - 1:11 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Yeah, I wasn't expecting one this soon but I'll certainly take it.  I give them a medium dubia around once a week, that's their protein source and they seem to prefer it over the sugar water.  I hope that the major visits the outworld sometime soon so I can really get a good look at her.  I'd love to get a quality pic of the major next to a normal worker for a size comparison too.

The downside is I feel like this might spoil me against ant species that don't have majors :)
Yeah, I’ve been wanting wanting a major for my Camponotus colony for a while now, but I know that it might take a while; perhaps 30 ish workers. And wow, that is a lot of protein. No wonder your getting majors so soon…
  • thatoneperson likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#9 Offline dboeren - Posted March 1 2024 - 1:47 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

It's more than they need, but the store I got them only sells a deli cup of 25 Dubias so it's either use them or else a lot of them will probably die unused if I don't because it's a year's supply if I only do every other week :)

As the colony grows it'll be less of an issue and I do make sure they always have sugar water too.

#10 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2024 - 6:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It's more than they need, but the store I got them only sells a deli cup of 25 Dubias so it's either use them or else a lot of them will probably die unused if I don't because it's a year's supply if I only do every other week :)

As the colony grows it'll be less of an issue and I do make sure they always have sugar water too.

Dubias should be immediately frozen and saved for later use. One of the beauties of ant keeping is that they do not need live food. One big purchase of dubias I froze last year literally lasted me the entire season feeding large, mature colonies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 2 2024 - 6:04 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have mealworms for that I bought in July; froze them, and they lasted me 7 months now.
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#12 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 3 2024 - 7:52 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

During the season I got a whole tub or Dubias and froze them and I still have so many left, just like you drew!

Dubias should be immediately frozen and saved for later use. One of the beauties of ant keeping is that they do not need live food. One big purchase of dubias I froze last year literally lasted me the entire season feeding large, mature colonies.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#13 Offline dboeren - Posted March 4 2024 - 1:21 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

OK, I will go ahead and freeze them then.  At least for a while they benefitted from some good food to pack their guts full of nutrition, and it will let me more easily reduce the protein in their diet as I can thaw them only as needed.

Thinking about the earlier comment "And wow, that is a lot of protein. No wonder you're getting majors so soon…"

Do we know, when is the caste of an ant determined?  I've only had the colony for a month, and didn't start feeding dubias until even more recently than that.  So, if caste is set on egg laying, this wouldn't have been able to affect it as the major would have already been in some sort of pupae state.  I expect that since there are morphological differences, the caste probably has to be set pretty early, if not at egg laying at least soon after.

#14 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 5 2024 - 12:35 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yes you have a point too (and yes I believe that the caste is set before because no matter the species that are monomorphic, in this case Camponotus, always get workers at a certain amount of time. Like for instance, I’ve seen some YouTube videos with majors for Camponotus introduced early to a colony that wasn’t brood boosted, correct if I’m wrong on that one though please cause I’m not so sure either). Sometimes (and I mean rarely) it can be affected depending on what is being fed. If you look at bees, when a queen has died or was killed from the worker bees of the hive, they create new queen cells by feeding them royal jelly which is a special kind of liquid containing much more protein than what a regular worker bee uses to develop; to create a queen bee.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#15 Offline dboeren - Posted March 18 2024 - 12:29 PM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Yesterday was my first natural ant death (I had one drown stuck in honey earlier).  The ants carried his body out of the nest and put it in a far corner of the outworld where I took him out to measure and examine - about 6mm.

But, other than that the colony is going well.  I've made them a better feeding bowl with a built-in handle to make it easier to pick up and I can see a nice brood pile in the next.  I happened to notice my one Major up close to the glass but before I could grab a pic he turned.  It's still noticeable that he's bigger than the others though.  Nothing much else to report until the new wave of workers shows up.  I do need to refresh my fluon barrier though, I saw a couple ants walking on the ceiling which they shouldn't be able to do.

#16 Offline dboeren - Posted March 19 2024 - 8:31 AM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The other good news is they are starting to move their trash to the outworld instead of just a corner of the nest.

Attached Images

• IMG_6251.jpeg

• futurebird, Ernteameise and Artisan_Ants like this

#17 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 19 2024 - 11:26 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

The other good news is they are starting to move their trash to the outworld instead of just a corner of the nest.

Man, I really wish I had a brood like like that for my Camps. Haven’t seen a brood like like that for the in months. This colony is really starting to pick up the pace. Great job, and hope they do well!

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#18 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 19 2024 - 11:30 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Yesterday was my first natural ant death (I had one drown stuck in honey earlier).  The ants carried his body out of the nest and put it in a far corner of the outworld where I took him out to measure and examine - about 6mm.

But, other than that the colony is going well.  I've made them a better feeding bowl with a built-in handle to make it easier to pick up and I can see a nice brood pile in the next.  I happened to notice my one Major up close to the glass but before I could grab a pic he turned.  It's still noticeable that he's bigger than the others though.  Nothing much else to report until the new wave of workers shows up.  I do need to refresh my fluon barrier though, I saw a couple ants walking on the ceiling which they shouldn't be able to do.

When you refer to workers or a colony, it is deceived as she, not he. Only male ants are allowed the “he’s” of an ant colony. All other castes are referred to as “she’s” (because that’s who and what they are).
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#19 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 19 2024 - 2:40 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

Man, I really wish I had a brood like like that for my Camps. Haven’t seen a brood like like that for the in months. This colony is really starting to pick up the pace. Great job, and hope they do well!

C. floridanus can explode much faster compared to some other Camponotus species out there. I don't know EXACTLY why that is, but I do know that they are very aggressive and eat like pigs. If you give them constant protein and sugar, as well as keep their humidity and heat where they typically like it, they tend to grow very fast (for a Camponotus species, at least).

#20 Offline dboeren - Posted March 20 2024 - 9:43 AM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Yes, I've heard the same - C. floridanus is faster growing than most Camponotus, probably related to them coming from a warmer environment where they don't have to diapause?

Anyway, they go absolutely nuts if I put a Dubia in their outworld - they smell it and come running.  They drink the sugar water too, but they're much more casual about it.  I just ordered a byFormica liquid feeder to upgrade from their open sugar water bowl that dries out and needs refilling every couple days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users