• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need heating cable advice please

newby heating cable test tube

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PDuncan67 - Posted January 23 2024 - 6:48 AM

PDuncan67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I recently received a Camponotus floridanus queen.  She arrived with 6 workers and 2 brood in pupa state. 

Upon arrival her test tube was dirty and dry, so I moved them to a new test tube setup.  I do not have a heating cable so one has been ordered and will be delivered today.

I have been using a space heater to warm the C. floridanus colony and have been maintaining a temp of 75-79F.  

Routine feedings, and two weeks later (as of today)  one worker has died and the two new ones are fully grown ants now. 

I guess I am doing something correct, as she now has a huge pile of eggs!  It’s hard to count but I think at least 10 as of this morning. 

So exciting seeing this miracle of nature happen.

Amazon (after a week of delays) is to deliver my heating cable today (I got the 15W).   

I plan to drape it over the test tube near the “open” end (its plugged w/ cotton).  In other words – not near their water source. My apologies for the long way around but I wanted to be sure I explained my current situation.

Anyway – my question:

Do I leave the heating cable on all the time, or should I have it on a timer?

Also – I have two Lasius neoniger queens and a Messor barbarous queen currently in hibernation.
When I wake them in March, will I heat them similarly?

Thanks in advance for any tips or info.

Attached Images

• queen.jpg

• rptraut likes this

Colonies: Lasius neoniger, Messor barbarus, Camponotus floridanus

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 23 2024 - 12:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The best thing would be to put the test tube in a plastic box and warm the whole box, like an incubator. This will prevent condensation and risks of overheating the ants. There’s no need for a timer.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline PDuncan67 - Posted January 23 2024 - 2:11 PM

PDuncan67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you.
Would something like one of those plastic shoebox sized ones with a lid work?
Do I just place one side of the box on the cable then? Leave it on 24/7?

Colonies: Lasius neoniger, Messor barbarus, Camponotus floridanus

#4 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted January 24 2024 - 11:41 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Thank you.
Would something like one of those plastic shoebox sized ones with a lid work?
Do I just place one side of the box on the cable then? Leave it on 24/7?

More or less yes.

the tubes are so small and glass, the heat is hard to control in them when applied directly.

As suggested, placing the tube in a small box, and applying the heat to the box should work well.

I'd say yes placing the cable on the opposite side of the box from the tube is probly a good start to be sure you do not over heat the tube/create condenstion in it.

It'll likely be best if you can take some tempature readings in the box for a while to see what sort of internal ambiant it winds up at when just left on.
Depending on your home ambiant it might be just right, or  a little too hot/cold all the time.

to deal with +/- temps you can adjust how much of the cable is in direct contact with the box until you get a good temp dialed in that holds steady.

If you got some money to blow, get a thermostat timer/plug for the heat cable to automate that for you.

I am way lazy, I have one of these and love it.

https://www.digiten....imer-thermostat

I have the bigger one with two outlets controled by seperate temp probes(and timer optional too) and one on a timer only for lighting.

I started with one temp probe in nest and one near it for ambiant. But now i have more nest sections hooked up, and each temp probe controls the heat cbale on a differetn nest section.

If you put a temp probe in the box, it can control the heat cable on/off to maintain whatever box internal temp range you want.

• PDuncan67 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newby, heating cable, test tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users