• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long does it take for Pesticides to go away?

pesticides pesticide wear off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 15 2024 - 9:51 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
So, My dad’s backyard has so many insects that I could use for feeding my ants. I would like to know how long pesticides stay and if my ants are able to eat the insects after a year and a half, maybe two not sure.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-L. fuliginosus
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#2 Offline Ernteameise - Posted January 15 2024 - 11:01 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationGermany

Depending completely on the insecticide used.

Read the label, contact the producer.

There are pesticides working short term which are broken down in a few weeks.

Other pesticides, like DDT are here to stay. In the food chain. For decades.

• ZATrippit likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 16 2024 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Are you certain that pesticides were used in the yard?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline rptraut - Posted January 17 2024 - 7:33 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello AsdinAnts;

Although it’s possible for most pesticides to cause harm, the pesticides you should be most concerned about are insecticides. They are the pesticides that kill insects. If you’re sure that no insecticide has been applied in the last two years that’s a pretty good first step, but I would look to the biological activity in the yard for your answer. You say there are lots of feeder insects in the yard. Are there also lots of ants? If there are, the chances of there being any insecticides there is pretty slim. I would feel safe feeding those insects to my ants, but that decision is on you, as to whether to feed them to your ants or not. You will have to feel confident enough to feed those insects to your ants, risking that they may be killed by them.

I have some colonies that I consider expendable. Someone once asked me why I have so many colonies of the same kind of ants. Well, this is one of the reasons why. I feed suspect insects to only one or two colonies before I’ll feed them to the rest. Call them Guinea pig colonies if you like, but I would rather risk one or two colonies than all of them. You’ll have to decide if you feel comfortable feeding lawn insects to your ants - and be willing to live with the consequences. If in doubt, feed them something you know is safe. All my ants love chicken.
RPT
  • AsdinAnts likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted January 17 2024 - 7:52 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal

Hello AsdinAnts;

Although it’s possible for most pesticides to cause harm, the pesticides you should be most concerned about are insecticides. They are the pesticides that kill insects. If you’re sure that no insecticide has been applied in the last two years that’s a pretty good first step, but I would look to the biological activity in the yard for your answer. You say there are lots of feeder insects in the yard. Are there also lots of ants? If there are, the chances of there being any insecticides there is pretty slim. I would feel safe feeding those insects to my ants, but that decision is on you, as to whether to feed them to your ants or not. You will have to feel confident enough to feed those insects to your ants, risking that they may be killed by them.

I have some colonies that I consider expendable. Someone once asked me why I have so many colonies of the same kind of ants. Well, this is one of the reasons why. I feed suspect insects to only one or two colonies before I’ll feed them to the rest. Call them Guinea pig colonies if you like, but I would rather risk one or two colonies than all of them. You’ll have to decide if you feel comfortable feeding lawn insects to your ants - and be willing to live with the consequences. If in doubt, feed them something you know is safe. All my ants love chicken.
RPT

Thank you for the long response RPT, I’m not entirely sure that it was insecticide, seeing as their are ants in my backyard but mainly argentine and brachymyrmex patagonicus. (both invasive in my country) I feed my A. Occidentalis colony a baby earwig from my backyard, so only time will tell it its safe or not.

Edited by AsdinAnts, January 17 2024 - 7:55 AM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-L. fuliginosus
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#6 Offline rptraut - Posted January 17 2024 - 8:36 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello again;

Thanks for responding. Insecticides will kill an invasive ant just as quickly as a domestic ant. If those Argentine ants are invasive and resistant to pesticides, then you’re really in trouble. Just kidding. Seriously, I would relax. I think you’re okay to feed insects from that lawn if there are thriving ant colonies living there. But remember, the final decision is yours and you must be willing to accept the consequences. Feeding questionable insects to a small number of ants and evaluating the impact, before feeding them to a larger number of ants, is a wise practice.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts. I know they’re long because I think about them a lot and they take a long time to write. I appreciate you taking the time to read them. Believe me, I take time to make sure every word is saying what I mean it to say so that each text is as informative as it can be. If any of it helps you or anyone else, then it’s all worthwhile.
RPT
  • Mirandarachnid, ANTdrew and Voidley like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users