• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Modifying an AntsCanada Hybrid nest for better function

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 23 2023 - 9:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A couple of years ago, I donated a large Tetramorium colony to a local nature center. A guy working there set them up in an AC Hybrid Formica nest with the 1.0 outworld. They did pretty well in it, but were always slipping out of cracks that he tried to stop up with vaseline. The colony eventually died out due to his moving and the Pandemic. I was given the setup, and it collected dust in my shed for a couple of years. I’ll document the tweaks I made to it here for reference. Read on!
  • Chickalo and rptraut like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 23 2023 - 11:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
-Modifications-
The first step was a thorough cleaning. Olive oil and vaseline are horrible barriers because they leave a caked on mess eventually.

Next, I poured a thin layer of PerfectCast plaster and sprinkled sand on top. This will counteract the downsides of plastic nests by offering a variety of surfaces and greater absorption. I took care not to cover the back end with hydration holes using clay to block the plaster.
AF9-C5134-B0-B3-40-DA-910-D-72-AD9-D050-

Next, I filled the hydration tray with perlite since I had a bag in my shed. This should help hold moisture without having a tray full of water to slosh around.
C717-ECAD-4045-4811-8798-FA0420-B208-AF.picture upload site

Then I sealed the glass with silicone since I’ve learned the hard way how to deal with tiny ants.
6-B6-BB2-F2-ECCB-4469-9-A02-E791-CA229-Bpost images

All that remained was to apply a proper barrier. I use fluon because it is 100% effective against Tetramorium. I’ll move my large new Tetramorium colony in sometime this weekend.
  • UtahAnts, rptraut, 100lols and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#3 Offline ZATrippit - Posted November 23 2023 - 10:28 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ

-Modifications-
The first step was a thorough cleaning. Olive oil and vaseline are horrible barriers because they leave a caked on mess eventually.

Next, I poured a thin layer of PerfectCast plaster and sprinkled sand on top. This will counteract the downsides of plastic nests by offering a variety of surfaces and greater absorption. I took care not to cover the back end with hydration holes using clay to block the plaster.
AF9-C5134-B0-B3-40-DA-910-D-72-AD9-D050-

Next, I filled the hydration tray with perlite since I had a bag in my shed. This should help hold moisture without having a tray full of water to slosh around.
C717-ECAD-4045-4811-8798-FA0420-B208-AF.picture upload site

Then I sealed the glass with silicone since I’ve learned the hard way how to deal with tiny ants.
6-B6-BB2-F2-ECCB-4469-9-A02-E791-CA229-Bpost images

All that remained was to apply a proper barrier. I use fluon because it is 100% effective against Tetramorium. I’ll move my large new Tetramorium colony in sometime this weekend.

Is the 'caked mess' left by olive oil and Vaseline a purely visual downgrade or does it affect the effectiveness of the barrier? What barrier/s do you recommend?
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 24 2023 - 4:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It looks horrible, and it would decrease the effectiveness of other barriers by leaving a rough surface. I recommend Fluon, or you can mix talc mixed with alcohol and paint it on with a paintbrush.
  • 100lols likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 24 2023 - 7:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Before heading out for my turkey dinner last night, I put the Tetramorium’s seriously overcrowded Mini-Hearth into the AC Outworld and pulled out all the plugs. That’s all it took to get the ants moving. By the time I got home from my parents’ house, they had moved in!
F521-BA0-E-2747-4-FBF-8-FBB-25-F30-C909-

I aspirated and brushed out the remaining stragglers this morning. They look great in the new setup.
E6-D64-A2-E-28-F0-4108-A672-8-C888-D7072

Here’s the queen:
F7942799-DEC0-4-FD4-BC08-ACECADF37683.jp
  • rptraut and 100lols like this

#6 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 24 2023 - 10:49 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

The miracle gro is safe for ants?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 24 2023 - 11:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Hmmmm. Good point. It’s just Nitrogen and Phosphorous in any case.

Edited by ANTdrew, November 24 2023 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users