• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts All-In-One Journal - Attempt 2!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 24 2021 - 10:43 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I really just can't make up my mind can I? On one hand I think its really cool to have separate journals for all of my different species, but on the other hand its also a lot of work when my ant collection is constantly changing. My old collective journal is pretty large, but also cringy af, so nope. This journal will be like new beginnings, as I figured my other journals haven't been updated in so long they're probably rotting somewhere in this archive. Now onto the part you (hopefully) came for, an introduction for all of my current ants:

Myrmecina americana (4 ergatoid queens):

This colony is actually three different colonies combined. It has a total of four ergatoid queens, as when I was combining the colonies, the only true dealate queen was killed. They have been pretty inactive lately, however, they have started to eat the apple bits and termites I've been giving them. I came back from vacation to a nice pile of eggs, which are a cool yellow color. Almost mistook the entire pile for a pupae!

IMG 8051
IMG 8052
IMG 8061
IMG 8062

Strumigenys pilinasis (between 14 & 18 queens?):

This colony, similar to the last colony, is made of several colonies that I combined. Strumigenys seem to have a really difficult time sensing who, and who is not, a part of their colony. Due to this, there was no fighting at all. I've had this colony for several weeks now, and mold does seem to be an issue (again), although adding moss and sand along with a light dose of hydrogen peroxide seem to be doing the trick. They, too, have a nice pile of eggs.

IMG 8065
IMG 8066

Myrmica sp. (1 queen):

This queen is tinyy compared to other Myrmica I see around here, like only 5 mm. I gave her a termite and so far she seems to be enjoying it. I only caught her while (likely) foraging yesterday.

IMG 8071
IMG 8072

Formica incerta (2 queens):

These two queens have pupae that should be eclosing within the next week. I don't really have much else to say except sorry for the horrid photo, enjoy.

IMG 8074

x2 Pheidole tysoni (1 queen each):

Both queens still have eggs. I swear Pheidole eggs take a ridiculously long time to hatch, but hopefully they'll get larvae some time soon.

IMG 8080
IMG 8087

Pheidole bicarinata (2 queens):

These two queens are in the same boat as my P. tysoni queens.

IMG 8088
IMG 8090

Pheidole pilifera (1 queen):

I did end up finding a few more of these queens, but the rest were ripped to shreds in poly setups. Oops. Same situation as my other Pheidole queens in terms of brood.

IMG 8095
IMG 8100

Temnothorax sp. w/ Temnothorax curvispinosus (3 queens of each species):

Some of you may remember the experiment I had going last year where I tried to start of polygynous colony consisting of multiple species in the genus Temnothorax. Well, this year I'm trying again on a larger scale as I've upped the number of queens. Since these two species are very similar, it hasn't been a challenge at all. All six queens are cooperating and have a nice pile of eggs.

IMG 8104

Temnothorax sp. (idk how many queens, I'll count later):

These queens are an unknown species currently being described by a group of people, and are also the same species as what was used in combination with T. curvispinosus for my said experiment ^^^. I've tried to get a decent colony going of these for a while, and I'm determined that this year they will succeed. They have a nice pile of eggs.

IMG 8106
IMG 8108

Pheidole tysoni (1 queen - microgyne edition!):

I'm not sure if Pheidole are supposed to have microgynes, but either way this little gal is special. She's 4.5 mm of pure cuteness, and easily my favorite queen. I wasn't sure if she was mated at first, since she was originally scattering her eggs, so I left her in a test tube with 12 P. tysoni males for a day (several were dead by the end, likely just killed though). Needless to say I was shocked when I came back from vacation to find a nice, neat pile of eggs. Turns out she might be fertile after all!

IMG 8112
IMG 8114

Formica cf. neogagates (1 queen):

I have been in love with this species ever since a found a queen a few years ago. Well, this year I happened to be in the right spot at the right time to find another queen! She's got a decent pile of eggs with her currently.

IMG 8115
IMG 8119
IMG 8121

Pheidole sp. (several queens):

I caught so many queens of this unknown species this year, and not a single one has laid any eggs. I've tried brood boosting them with basically no success. sad :c

IMG 8128
IMG 8129

I have at least one more year with all of my ants until college, but It'll be an experience when that time comes around. Hopefully I can work something out so I don't lose all these colonies.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 24 2021 - 10:44 AM.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, GreekAnts and 2 others like this

Spoiler

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2021 - 11:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What a great start! I love the Formica photos.
  • CatsnAnts, Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 27 2023 - 9:59 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I would like to ask what you fed the myrmecina. I want some but I don't know their diet.

#4 Offline Locness - Posted August 27 2023 - 1:02 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Beautiful photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users