• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Macro Lens Tips

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AdamL - Posted August 14 2023 - 12:50 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I recently purchased this macro lens:IMG_2880.png
And I’m not sure if I’m using it wrong or it’s just poor quality but my photos just don’t seem to be the same quality of others macro photos, so is the lens just bad or am I using it wrong? And do you guys have any tips?
  • DinoH likes this

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 16 2023 - 5:49 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

The lens/camera are probably fine. The most common problem is you need a LOT of light.

• gcsnelling likes this

#3 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 16 2023 - 8:36 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I use my nokia 3.4 from 2020 and a clip on macro 25x.

1: lots of light

2: tripod helps a lot, though i do take a good number of pics by hand, but i get a lot of blurries doing so.

3: lots of luck.

As the ants do as they do, and being inside their container (limited shot angels we can try).
Getting any really good shot is a lot of luck, sense they don't stop and pose when and where we want for as long as we'd like, and keeping the lens on one is much harder from outside the container.

I find the answer to getting good shots is not to spend too much time trying ot get "the good shot." But instead snap like mad. Don't wait for 'the good shot" instead see a place where a good shot might happen. Setup the camera and take 50-100 shots without a lot of futtzing or waiting for the right one. Just click click click anytime there might be a decent shot to be had from the current action in frame. If i do that, I'll get 3-6 shots i like.

Way back when (been doing photography for long time) i used to imagine to only snap the shot when i was sure i was getting something. But that's a film gets used up way of doing it. Digital is, i snap 100 times and then maybe get 6 shots l like. And that takes less time than trying to get 6 shots i will like, only snapping the shot when i am sure i like what's in frame.

I have setup my nest/outworld connections so that all traffic in/out between them is right up front by the viewing glass. Wherever the forage is, ants will pass near the front view for macro pictures, and i know exactly where that is, as the design directs the traffic.

here's a couple shots
the setup

IMG_20230226_121100_HDR.jpg

one of my best macro shots yet

nummyapple.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users