• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsCali's Terrarium (Aphaenogaster occidentales)

#terrarium #aphaenogaster

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 16 2023 - 6:59 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
I purchased a 40 gallon tank about a month ago, and I finally got to making it into a terrarium with ants (Aphaenogaster occidentales at the moment).

Here is how I created it.

Layer 1: Drainage
A drainage layer is necessary for a good terrarium, as it provides drainage for excess water, similar to the use of holes at the bottom of a plant pot. If you don't have a drainage layer, whenever you hydrate the substrate, it could mold easier and get too wet.

For my drainage, I used clay balls, a light alterative to something like the more common option of pebbles. Over the main drainage, you also want something to separate the drainage from the substrate so the roots of any plants you put in don't go into the drainage layer. I used a part of shade cloth, but you can use anything with small holes, but not large enough for roots to go through, just for water. Above the separation, an optional thing you could do is add some activated carbon or charcoal, which can make the substrate cleaner, and further filter any harmful chemicals or bacteria. I did this with activated carbon pellets, sometimes sold at pet stores.

drainage.jpg

Layer 2: Substrate
Above the activated carbon/charcoal in my case, you want to put perhaps the most important part, the substrate. Just about any soil that ants can dig through will do for this, this will be the digging medium for the ants. I simply dug up some soil from my backyard. Soil like this will probably have things like springtails, isopods, and worms, helpful decomposers for the terrarium, a free "cleaning crew". The ants may not dig right away, for example mine decided to nest in a hollow piece of driftwood while they dug tunnels, excavating their main nest.

soil.jpg

Layer 3: Decoration
While this final layer isn't technically necessary, it is essential for an aesthetically pleasing look. This is the layer that has the most options by far, you can do it how you like it. I chose to go with a more natural sandy floor look. I mixed white and natural sand and put a thin layer on the top. For some greenery, I then placed some live moss to liven it up. for the finishing touches, I added 5 pieces of driftwood and some small rocks. I was sure to add an open space when I could feed and observe them the most.

deco sand.jpg
deco.jpg

This is the final look of the terrarium:

overhead.jpg
side view.jpg

My colony:
I bought this colony from Jeff a few weeks ago at 100ish workers and 10-12 queens. This is the colony I ended up moving into the terrarium.

They came in a mini hearth. I have another colony of this species (my oldest surviving one) in a small dirt setup, and they love to move things around and dig, great for a natural setup. They also don't have social stomachs, so they must drag their food to their larvae to feed them, making the ants' feedings fun to watch.

Timelapse here

After I moved them in, they decided to nest in the hollow driftwood like I said earlier, but they have just started digging tunnels today, some up against the glass.

chamber.jpg

They haven't done much digging yet but I will post further updates.

I'd like to try and add another colony in the future of a different species. Does anyone think they'd kill each other?

Thanks for checking out this journal/tutorial!

Edited by AntsCali098, June 17 2023 - 8:22 AM.

• UtahAnts, antsriondel, bmb1bee and 2 others like this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 17 2023 - 4:16 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Nice terrarium.
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#3 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 23 2023 - 11:08 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
They seem to have fully moved to the tunnels that they made in the soil towards the middle. There are still some smaller tunnels up towards the glass, but the colony isn't occupying them.

I can see holes going away from the glass, towards the middle which I see ants go through sometimes.

They use the entrance to this tunnel to move their food inside the nest, which is nice because they sometimes frequent the visible parts.

I am currently away but will have pictures next update!
  • Ernteameise likes this

Wishlist:

#4 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 14 2023 - 3:17 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
So not a lot has happened. I am struggling to get much content for this journal, and it's really tough to see how the ants are doing. Here's some small stuff.

Number one, we have a new resident! It is a cellar spider belonging to the Pholcidae family, we have a ton of these around the house. There used to be a couple juveniles as well, but they left. I wonder if this spider will help control the population when this colony reaches a larger size. It has made a web on the opposite side to where the ants are nesting. Any name suggestions for this creepy crawly?

PXL_20230814_230710740.jpg

Some bad news: I noticed 2 dead queens in the corner of the terrarium where they seem to be putting their dead near the cellar spider. I wonder what happened. I'm not too worried since they probably have at least 8 or so queens left.

PXL_20230814_230335497.MP.jpg

I've also added some little decorations, a mini mount rushmore and a castle type thing, both of which I found at an estate sale. The mount rushmore is too big for upload, but here's the castle:

PXL_20230814_230456581.MP.jpg

I've also noticed a little hole near the nest which could be an alternative opening, but have yet to see any ants in it.

They have been hollowing out any insects I throw in and are mostly active at night.

Thanks for checking out my journal!
  • Full_Frontal_Yeti likes this

Wishlist:

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 14 2023 - 3:28 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Sorry to hear that some queens died, but 8 queens is still a lot to keep a colony going! The terrarium is looking great!

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 14 2023 - 3:46 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
Thank you 😊

Wishlist:

#7 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 14 2023 - 4:08 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I have a empty terrarium I am saving for a needle ant colony. I hope it looks as good as yours.
  • AntsCali098 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users