• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is my new Camponotus Queen ok?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted July 23 2023 - 1:21 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I was re-potting a plant yesterday and low and behold a wingless Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen was scurrying around in the bottom of the pot! I looked everywhere in the pot and plant for any eggs or larvae but didn't see any that I could tell. I got her set up in a test tube and gave her a drop of honey on the end of a toothpick on top of a piece of tin foil which she seemed to really appreciate. I took the toothpick away before going to bed last night.

This afternoon I noticed she was scrambling in a weird way and the tube looked pretty damp and sort of messy inside. It appeared that her leg was stuck to the cotton by a micro drop of honey. I freed her leg and as a precaution I got her a clean tube. She has continued to move around and scramble in a strange fashion. She kind of lays on her belly and all her legs run in place. Either that or she lays flat and motionless but isn't standing up on her legs. Shortly before hopping on here, I noticed what actually looks like a single egg!?

Questions:

Is her strange behavior actually normal behavior if she is laying eggs?

Was getting her a clean tube the right move?

Did I interrupt her in her process by doing that?

Could she be covered in honey, if so will she be ok?

Any other ideas or advice?

#2 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 23 2023 - 1:31 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

This does not sound normal, she probably has honey on her underside and is now trying to get it off. I think she will be ok, just try to disturb her as little as possible. It might have been better to just clean out the old test tube, but it's done now.

• AdamAnt1 likes this

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#3 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted July 23 2023 - 3:24 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

This does not sound normal, she probably has honey on her underside and is now trying to get it off. I think she will be ok, just try to disturb her as little as possible. It might have been better to just clean out the old test tube, but it's done now.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to leave her alone. Hopefully she is healthy and makes a colony.

#4 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted July 24 2023 - 5:46 AM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well she is now dead. Really odd. She was in the tube for less than 24 hours and went from looking great to dead overnight. I checked the honey I gave her. I thought it was organic but it might not be. Did I poison her? My Tetramorium colony has been fine with this same honey. I also didn't imagine that there could be pesticides in honey. Would that not kill the bees that make it?

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 24 2023 - 5:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I was re-potting a plant yesterday and low and behold a wingless Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen was scurrying around in the bottom of the pot! I looked everywhere in the pot and plant for any eggs or larvae but didn't see any that I could tell. I got her set up in a test tube and gave her a drop of honey on the end of a toothpick on top of a piece of tin foil which she seemed to really appreciate. I took the toothpick away before going to bed last night.

This afternoon I noticed she was scrambling in a weird way and the tube looked pretty damp inside. It appeared that her leg was stuck to the cotton by a micro drop of honey. I freed her leg and as a precaution I got her a clean tube. She has continued to move around and scramble in a strange fashion. She kind of lays on her belly and all her legs run in place. Either that or she lays flat and motionless but isn't standing up on her legs. Shortly before hopping on here, I noticed what actually looks like a single egg!?

Questions:

camponotus are weird ants in general. I have noticed this with some of my parasitic formica, so i do not believe it is at all a sign your queen is bad. I had a queen of C. pennsylvanicus that would lay on her brood with her legs contorted in all sorts of strange positions as if she was dying. And she currently has like 10 pupa and 30 eggs and is doing remarkably well. That being said, as you mentioned yours died, I would just say that Camponotus are known to do this as well. Don't be surprised if that happens. And no, i don't believe your honey would have pesticides in that case. To answer your questions:

Was getting her a clean tube the right move? Getting an ant a clean test tube never hurts. It will only disrupt pheromones for a little bit.

Did I interrupt her in her process by doing that? Because she has no brood you did not.

Could she be covered in honey, if so will she be ok? Possibly, which is why i only feed my ants tiny drops of honey or honey that is on something. Por Amor ants has little inserts for this that i bought when I ordered some formicaria from them because they were cheap and they work really well for keeping the test tube clean.

Any other ideas or advice? Camponotus are weird. Expect them to die randomly, like yours.

• AdamAnt1 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted July 24 2023 - 6:38 AM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

This afternoon I noticed she was scrambling in a weird way and the tube looked pretty damp inside. It appeared that her leg was stuck to the cotton by a micro drop of honey. I freed her leg and as a precaution I got her a clean tube. She has continued to move around and scramble in a strange fashion. She kind of lays on her belly and all her legs run in place. Either that or she lays flat and motionless but isn't standing up on her legs. Shortly before hopping on here, I noticed what actually looks like a single egg!?

Questions:

camponotus are weird ants in general. I have noticed this with some of my parasitic formica, so i do not believe it is at all a sign your queen is bad. I had a queen of C. pennsylvanicus that would lay on her brood with her legs contorted in all sorts of strange positions as if she was dying. And she currently has like 10 pupa and 30 eggs and is doing remarkably well. That being said, as you mentioned yours died, I would just say that Camponotus are known to do this as well. Don't be surprised if that happens. And no, i don't believe your honey would have pesticides in that case. To answer your questions:

Was getting her a clean tube the right move? Getting an ant a clean test tube never hurts. It will only disrupt pheromones for a little bit.

Did I interrupt her in her process by doing that? Because she has no brood you did not.

Could she be covered in honey, if so will she be ok? Possibly, which is why i only feed my ants tiny drops of honey or honey that is on something. Por Amor ants has little inserts for this that i bought when I ordered some formicaria from them because they were cheap and they work really well for keeping the test tube clean.

Any other ideas or advice? Camponotus are weird. Expect them to die randomly, like yours.

Thanks for this feedback. It's helpful information for next time. Still learning a lot about all this

• Ants_Dakota likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users