• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus driving me insane

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:25 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I got a new Camponotus colony that has 9 workers. Their old test tube was running out of water and the cotton blocking the water was starting to mold a bit. So, I put a new test tube in the outworld for them to move into. To my surprise they moved in pretty quickly, but I forgot to take the old test tube out. I didn't that that was a problem until I took a peek into the outworld a few hours later. They had moved back into the old test tube. I don't want to waste your time by making you read everything I did but with in a couple of days, they moved from test tube to test tube and every once in a while, they would somehow end up in the far end of the outworld. The new test tube is clean, doesn't have mold, and has enough water. I don't know what to do and they're driving me nuts.

Note: I looked again and now they are just chillin sideways on the wall of the outworld.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, July 20 2023 - 9:29 AM.

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Increase airflow in the outworld and they won’t use it as a nest.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:28 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

thanks, I will try that. But what should I do about them having half the colony in one test tube and the other half in the other test tube?

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:32 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Nothing. Camponotus having satellite nests is normal.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dump them out of the old tube.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 20 2023 - 9:37 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Nothing. Camponotus having satellite nests is normal.

Oh, but I thought that was only when they got to a bigger size and needed more room

Dump them out of the old tube.

Ok, I will, I was thinking about it but didn't know if it was normal for camponotus or if there was a better way to get them to permanently move on their own

Thanks for the help

#7 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 20 2023 - 10:55 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

I was going to make another post about olive oil, but I decided to put it on here. Some question: Do you recommend it, is it safe for the ants, and does it work for most or all species. I am using it for the camponotus colony that I was talking about in the first place. a worker managed to get past the olive oil by going to one of the corners (luckily I have a cap to the outworld and no workers escaped). I tried it for camponotus because they are generally bigger and it would bee easy to see if the olive oil works. I want some opinions before I go and use it for smaller ants like nylanderia and pheidole.

#8 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 20 2023 - 1:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is generally considered one of the least effective barriers.

#9 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 21 2023 - 8:51 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Are there better barriers that are cheap? I don't really want to buy fluon unless I really have to because it's so it's so expensive

#10 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 21 2023 - 8:58 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationGermany

For me, paraffin oil works best and it is cheap.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted July 21 2023 - 9:01 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Are there better barriers that are cheap? I don't really want to buy fluon unless I really have to because it's so it's so expensive

It may be expensive but my fluon barriers last for 5 YEARS on average.

Other barriers need to be replaced much more frequently.

Powder barriers are a decent alternative for Camponotus. Yes, it's a type of barrier that slowly disintegrates on contact but it'll be a very long time before your Camponotus will have the numbers to just brute-force through it by walking it off.

Edited by Serafine, July 21 2023 - 9:04 AM.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted July 21 2023 - 9:04 AM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Ok, I will try paraffin oil and then fluon if the oil doesn't work. Also, where do you get your fluon usually?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users