• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica ID

formica id id request

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LC3 - Posted August 17 2015 - 10:07 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

1. Location of collection: Okanagan Lake, BC,Canada 

2. Date of collection: August,11th and August 12th

3. Habitat of collection: Dry and rocky

4. Length (from head to gaster): around 11mm

5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Greyish black gaster, dark orange-red thorax and topof head is dark grey while bottom is orange.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Not a lot of parasitic features, no large head/jaws and no small gaster.

7. Anything else distinctive: They are very aggressive and readily shoot acid. It's more like a droplet I think rather than a spray.

8. Nest description: Their hosts are those within the Fusca complex.

Found these 2 Formica dealates at Okanagan Lake. At first I doubted they we're parasitic until I found a bunch of Formica fusca chambers with nanitics and I thought they might have flown at this time to take over these chambers. So before I left I grab some pupae from F.argentae (not host but whatever) and they accepted it. 

Attached Images

• IMG_1192.JPG
  • IMG_1193.JPG
  • IMG_1194.JPG
  • IMG_1195.JPG
  • IMG_1196.JPG
  • IMG_1197.JPG
  • IMG_1198.JPG
  • IMG_1199.JPG
  • IMG_1200.JPG
  • IMG_1201.JPG

Edited by LC3, August 21 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 18 2015 - 8:35 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Those queens don't look parasitic to me.  Accepting pupae does not mean they're parasitic, and you can see how large their gasters are. 

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted August 18 2015 - 9:49 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

None of those look parasitic.  The parasitic ones have gasters about half that size.  Any queen will usually readily accept pupae.

I do see 3 species though. 

One that looks black with grey bands on its gaster is in the fusca group, possibly Formica podzolica or Formica argentea.

The really shiney black one is in the neogagates group, we would need much better pictures to narrow that one down.

The one with red I would need better pictures of but it is not parasitic, probably Formica neorufibarbis.  I see lots of these in the Rocky Mountains under rocks in certain areas.

• LC3 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted August 18 2015 - 10:03 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Thanks everyone for the help. So apparently they aren't parasitic and Formica readily accept pupae.

None of those look parasitic.  The parasitic ones have gasters about half that size.  Any queen will usually readily accept pupae.

I do see 3 species though. 

One that looks black with grey bands on its gaster is in the fusca group, possibly Formica podzolica or Formica argentea.

The really shiney black one is in the neogagates group, we would need much better pictures to narrow that one down.

The one with red I would need better pictures of but it is not parasitic, probably Formica neorufibarbis.  I see lots of these in the Rocky Mountains under rocks in certain areas.

Those two seems to be in the same species, except they're slightly different coloured: they have the same pattern,colour and shape except one is slightly darker.. Either that or different Formica spp. can stay in the same tubes hugging each other for 2 days.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted August 18 2015 - 12:51 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

It may be the angle of the camera then.

In the picture with all 3 queens present, the top and bottom one don't seem to have any red on them.  The top and bottom also look like a slightly different size, but that could be how they are sitting.

We would need better pictures, like antweb has for a better ID - https://www.antweb.o...nts&images=true

Especially side and head view.  If I can count hairs, then the pictures are great.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 10:31 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The top one is a bit bigger than the others. I think they are neorufibarbis like you said.

Here are some pictures but I don't have a good camera or anything so these are the best I can get.

Attached Images

• IMG_1205.JPG
  • IMG_1208.JPG
  • IMG_1209.JPG
  • IMG_1210.JPG
  • IMG_1211.JPG
  • IMG_1214.JPG
  • IMG_1215.JPG
  • IMG_1213.JPG
  • IMG_1204.JPG
  • IMG_1212.JPG

Edited by LC3, August 21 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 1:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The 3 ants look different to me.  I doubt they are all the same species.

For lighting, try putting them in light by a window for pictures and perhaps use a magnifying glass.

The pictures are not good enough for me to get a more solid ID.

My Colonies

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted August 21 2015 - 2:05 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

2 of them seem to be the same species. one of them is not. So 2 different species in total. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, id, id request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users