• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kiedeerk's Epic multi-species Ant Keeping Journal

kiedeerk journal multi-species ant keeping epic

159 replies to this topic

#141 Offline kiedeerk - Posted May 18 2024 - 8:20 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Trachymyrmex fungus garden growing rapidly. In about one month it is now covering probably 2/3 of the 4x4 inches nesting space. It also grew to about 1 inch tall. I have been giving them mostly roses and wild flowers from my yard. They are pretty particular in what they cut. It is amazing how they cultivate the fungus into a honeycomb shape.

Attached Images

• IMG_5523.jpeg
  • IMG_5525.jpeg
  • IMG_5527.jpeg

• Karma, ANTdrew, rptraut and 3 others like this

#142 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2024 - 3:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,585 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So cool!
  • Zzz likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#143 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted May 19 2024 - 12:30 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA
I love how they make it in the shape of a honeycomb

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#144 Offline kiedeerk - Posted May 21 2024 - 8:32 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
New species: Camponotus Socius

Rarely kept species of Camponotus but becoming more available recently. They are native to the southeastern USA. Lives mainly in sandy environments. They have beautiful coloration and are large in size comparable to chromaoides, castaneus, and Pennsylvanicus. They have been notoriously more difficult to keep from what I have heard so I will give them a try. Their coloration reminds me of Camponotus nicobarensis but double their size.

Attached Images

• IMG_5099.jpeg
  • IMG_4985.jpeg
  • IMG_4918.jpeg
  • IMG_4882.jpeg
  • IMG_4816.jpeg
  • IMG_5353.jpeg
  • IMG_5506.jpeg
  • IMG_5522.jpeg

• Karma, Ernteameise, Izzy and 1 other like this

#145 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted May 21 2024 - 8:36 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Very nice coloration. What nest are you keeping them in?

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#146 Offline kiedeerk - Posted May 21 2024 - 10:24 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Very nice coloration. What nest are you keeping them in?

All my ants are kept inside diy nests. This one is just a simple gypsum with a sand base

#147 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 21 2024 - 10:48 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationGermany

Oh these Camponotus are beautiful.

Very nice colors.

Good luck with them!

#148 Offline Mushu - Posted May 22 2024 - 3:51 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Impressive collection of ants you got there.

A few questions on your placodops 01

1) can you elaborate on their protein preferences. What are their preferred  from favorite to least favorite. 

2) How often do you feed them protein and how much?

3) What temperature and humidity(if you have that info) gradient do you keep them at.

Edited by Mushu, May 22 2024 - 3:52 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#149 Offline 100lols - Posted May 22 2024 - 4:35 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Wow!!! Beautiful specimen. Taught me about a new species :) cheers!

#150 Offline kiedeerk - Posted May 22 2024 - 7:37 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Impressive collection of ants you got there.

A few questions on your placodops 01

1) can you elaborate on their protein preferences. What are their preferred from favorite to least favorite.
2) How often do you feed them protein and how much?
3) What temperature and humidity(if you have that info) gradient do you keep them at.

In my experience they have been quite picky in terms of protein source. They will take sugar water all day long but for proteins they liked termites and sometimes fruit flies. Tried mealworms I don’t think they were interested. Will try some insects from my yard once the weather warms up

I have them near a radiator in my ant room. It’s important to give them a gradient as the queen is always in the coolest part of the nest. I would say it’s 85+ close to the radiator at least
  • 100lols and Mushu like this

#151 Offline kiedeerk - Posted May 30 2024 - 4:29 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Trachy are doing excellent. Fungus garden is exploding. You can now see large larva popping out everywhere. It is interesting how the fungus covers the brood fully almost.

Attached Images

• IMG_5592.jpeg
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
  • IMG_5601.jpeg
  • IMG_5599.jpeg

• Karma, Ernteameise, Izzy and 1 other like this

#152 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted May 30 2024 - 4:34 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal

Completely in awe!

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#153 Offline kiedeerk - Posted June 6 2024 - 2:29 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Here are my Camponotus lineup: nearcticus x2, caryae, socius, castaneus, subbarbatus, chromaoides, pennsylvanicus

I really enjoy the founding stages to medium sized colony phase. Once a colony gets into the hundreds or thousands I loose some interest mainly because they become more of a hassle to feed and maintain. Maybe I am keeping too many colonies. I like the challenge to found different species but once I have succeeded in getting them to hundreds of workers I feel like the work is done and sometimes I move on to different more challenging species

Attached Images

• IMG_5654.jpeg
  • IMG_5656.jpeg
  • IMG_5657.jpeg
  • IMG_5632.jpeg
  • IMG_5660.jpeg
  • IMG_5673.jpeg
  • IMG_5668.jpeg
  • IMG_5665.jpeg

• Karma, rptraut, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 2 others like this

#154 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 15 2024 - 1:02 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I finally back in the states after 4 weeks vacation

I entrusted one of my family member to care for my ants was initially unsure how they will do while I am away. I will update the different species separately.

First up: trachymyrmex

They have since exploded in numbers while I was away. They produced hundreds of alates and even more workers. The fungus garden is still going strong. They are picky about which flowers they like but love rose petals the most. The alates have really dark/black wings. You can also appreciate the antibiotic white powder substance coating the alates and some of the workers. These are only found in leaf cutter ants and prevents mold and other bacterial growth is what I have read.

Attached Images

• IMG_6432.jpeg
  • IMG_6431.jpeg
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
  • IMG_6433.jpeg
  • IMG_6434.jpeg
  • IMG_6437.jpeg

• Karma, ANTdrew, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 2 others like this

#155 Offline Zzz - Posted July 15 2024 - 4:07 AM

Zzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I entrusted one of my family member to care for my ants was initially unsure how they will do while I am away. I will update the different species separately.

They have since exploded in numbers while I was away. They produced hundreds of alates and even more workers. The fungus garden is still going strong. They are picky about which flowers they like but love rose petals the most. The alates have really dark/black wings. You can also appreciate the antibiotic white powder substance coating the alates and some of the workers. These are only found in leaf cutter ants and prevents mold and other bacterial growth is what I have read.

What’s your experience with trachymyrmex? I’m very interested

#156 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 15 2024 - 4:25 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

What’s your experience with trachymyrmex? I’m very interested

So far they have been easy to care for. I collected this colony back in April. They are kept at room temperature and they love their rose petals. They started out with a few grains of fungus which has grown to fill this 4x4 inches nest
  • Karma likes this

#157 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 17 2024 - 7:56 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Camponotus socius update

During the month I was away. They grew from 10 or so workers to between 30-50 workers. They have a healthy brood pile. My care taker probably did not optimize their growth so they would have more workers if they were under my care. But nonetheless they are doing well. Can’t wait for medias and majors. Compared to native Camponotus species they are growing quite fast. Most of the native Camponotus sp would never reach those worker numbers by diapause. Socius are quite large being comparable in size to pennsylvanicus, chrom, and castaneus

Attached Images

• IMG_6451.jpeg
  • IMG_6450.jpeg
  • IMG_6448.jpeg
  • IMG_6447.jpeg
  • IMG_6446.jpeg
  • IMG_6445.jpeg

• Karma, Full_Frontal_Yeti and Ernteameise like this

#158 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 21 2024 - 4:54 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Update: M. placadops 01

These guys are really taking off recently. They had periods of when they were picky about proteins but they currently are taking in almost all protein source I give them. Hence, they have stopped murdering their pupae to feed their larvae. I approximate they probably have 350+ workers. They have many repletes. The interesting thing is that they have many small/mildly filled repletes. My theory is that they have so many workers/repletes they distribute the sugar water evenly and not feed one replete to the max. At this rate, I will have to upgrade their nest soon.

Attached Images

• IMG_6468.jpeg
  • IMG_6460.jpeg
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
  • IMG_6463.jpeg
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
  • IMG_6462.jpeg

• Karma and ANTdrew like this

#159 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 21 2024 - 8:13 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationKerala, India

It seems like the black ants in the last picture are honeypot ants, right? Their black coloring and large gasters are really cool. You should consider trying red and green food coloring in their sugar water sometime! They would look so good in black-red and black-green.

Currently raising : C. Parius (2x), C. Vitiosus (2x), Carebara Diversa (1x), C. irratians (2x), M. brunnea (1x)

Have raised : Solenopsis

Enjoy anting, NotAxo :D

#160 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 21 2024 - 9:28 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

It seems like the black ants in the last picture are honeypot ants, right? Their black coloring and large gasters are really cool. You should consider trying red and green food coloring in their sugar water sometime! They would look so good in black-red and black-green.

Yes these are honey pot ants. I have tried adding food coloring but sometimes I just like their natural look of black and white with red head
  • rptraut likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kiedeerk, journal, multi-species, ant keeping, epic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users