• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant species you want most that's native to your region

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted July 2 2023 - 4:45 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD
There's probably already a thread for this but I decided to start a new one because maybe people have changed their answers. After getting pheidole dentata, I kind of had everything I wanted, until I lifted a few rocks in TN and found campnototus chromaiodes colonies. I would love to get a queen of this species. Their color is so cool. Another golden ant I use to keep when I was a beginner but died was pheidole tysoni.
  • DinoH likes this

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 2 2023 - 5:26 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I've always wanted stigmatomma pallipes but I know I won't be able keep up with their constant need of centipedes. I also want Formica rufa group or similar but I can't find any in my area but I know they are native in Virginia.

Edited by Virginian_ants, July 2 2023 - 5:33 AM.

• antsinvirgina, DinoH and AntPerson76 like this

#3 Offline antsriondel - Posted July 2 2023 - 9:40 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I have always wanted Pheidole. Any Pheidole colony would be awesome, but the only ones native to B.C. are californica.

• AntPerson76 likes this

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted July 2 2023 - 10:04 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

stigmatomma pallipes or pseudomyrmex apache

• DinoH likes this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#5 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 2 2023 - 10:30 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
Any kind of cryptic species would be worth it for me. I’d like to look for Proceratium and Strumigenys this season, and maybe Stenamma as well. I would go for Stigmatomma if their brood development didn’t take so long. I do have access to the centipedes they require though. Here in the Bay we also have Cyphomyrmex wheeleri, which apparently fly next month.
  • OhNoNotAgain and DinoH like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#6 Offline s_tonatiuh - Posted July 2 2023 - 5:29 PM

s_tonatiuh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, California
More Pheidole sp. Camponotus are so cool but are much more difficult to find in my area. I found Pheidole hyatti much earlier this year ago and I’ve been obsessed with them ever since.
  • AntPerson76 likes this

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 2 2023 - 7:45 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

At this point I would like to have regular access to watch - but not have to take care of - Neivamyrmex. I'm writing a children's book that mentions subterranean army ants, and frankly can find so little about them I'd really like to observe some in action.

And here's another weird one. Instead of keeping Prenolepis in my house in test tubes, I'd love to keep massive colonies all over the yard, just to keep the Argies at bay. Like outdoor pet Preno colonies....

• bmb1bee and AntPerson76 like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#8 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 2 2023 - 10:31 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

At this point I would like to have regular access to watch - but not have to take care of - Neivamyrmex. I'm writing a children's book that mentions subterranean army ants, and frankly can find so little about them I'd really like to observe some in action.

And here's another weird one. Instead of keeping Prenolepis in my house in test tubes, I'd love to keep massive colonies all over the yard, just to keep the Argies at bay. Like outdoor pet Preno colonies....

I should catch Prenos in bulk and release a bunch into my backyard. There are tons of Argies I want to get rid of.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 2 2023 - 10:41 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I should catch Prenos in bulk and release a bunch into my backyard. There are tons of Argies I want to get rid of.

You'd probably need to stop watering your yard though. From everything I gather, Argies love irrigation and the water we use in our yards. I really want to xeriscape soon....

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#10 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 2 2023 - 11:05 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

You'd probably need to stop watering your yard though. From everything I gather, Argies love irrigation and the water we use in our yards. I really want to xeriscape soon....
Interesting. I’ll probably look into xeriscaping myself. Prenolepis can’t handle it too dry either, can’t they?

#11 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted July 3 2023 - 12:01 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Camponotus cinctellus for me.
Because of their adaptivity to my environment.

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk

#12 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 3 2023 - 6:46 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
trachymyrmex septentrionalis and pheidole

#13 Offline aznphenom - Posted July 3 2023 - 6:51 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

There's probably already a thread for this but I decided to start a new one because maybe people have changed their answers. After getting pheidole dentata, I kind of had everything I wanted, until I lifted a few rocks in TN and found campnototus chromaiodes colonies. I would love to get a queen of this species. Their color is so cool. Another golden ant I use to keep when I was a beginner but died was pheidole tysoni.

Luckily for you, Camponotus chromaiodes are probably the easiest species to find in MD. They fly first and at a very specific time. Unfortunately, that time has passed this year.

• DinoH and AntPerson76 like this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#14 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted July 3 2023 - 6:52 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Luckily for you, Camponotus chromaiodes are probably the easiest species to find in MD. They fly first and at a very specific time. Unfortunately, that time has passed this year.
Man. Better luck next year.
  • DinoH likes this

#15 Offline Locness - Posted July 3 2023 - 8:18 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Myrmecocystus placodops for me. Keeping mexicanus has been fulfilling, I'd like to try with the big ones.
  • AntPerson76 likes this

#16 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 3 2023 - 10:11 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

Myrmica rubra and / or Manica rubida.

But need to get some experience first because these girls need more humidity and will be more difficult that the girls I have currently.

And I already had a failed attempt of keeping them as a kid, so that was a bit traumatizing.

• AntPerson76 likes this

#17 Offline Locness - Posted July 3 2023 - 11:03 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

But need to get some experience first because these girls need more humidity and will be more difficult that the girls I have currently.
And I already had a failed attempt of keeping them as a kid, so that was a bit traumatizing.

I also notice a lot of mite issues from keepers due to the increased humidity.

Edited by Locness, July 3 2023 - 11:04 AM.

• Ernteameise likes this

#18 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 3 2023 - 1:49 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

I also notice a lot of mite issues from keepers due to the increased humidity.

Yeah, this is why I do not really rate these species suitable for total beginners like me. I will start slow with some easier species and when I have experience, I can decide if I feel up for deeper challenges.

#19 Offline antsriondel - Posted July 3 2023 - 2:24 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I would also like to find Myrmecocystus testaceus.

• AntPerson76 likes this

#20 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted July 3 2023 - 4:29 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Definitely Pheidole rhea

• AntPerson76 likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users