• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Advice for a crematogaster noob

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted June 27 2023 - 3:07 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I ordered a crematogaster scutellaris queen which is going to arrive in the next couple days.
Researching them made me a bit nervous since I'm new to them and their rapid development is going to be a challenge among other things.

So I'm asking for advice on some basics or maybe some mistakes you've learned from keeping crematogaster.
What do you use to stop them from escaping?
Thanks in advance

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2023 - 4:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can read through my long Crematogaster journal to get a good idea of how to care for these amazing ants. My best advice is to give them lots of space to roam in a big outworld. Put a rim around the top that you can coat with fluon on the bottom. High heat and ample protein is all they really need to thrive. Keep drinking water and nectar available at all times, too. If they are lacking anything, they will find it by escaping, so don’t neglect to feed the beast!
  • AntaholicAnonymous and Ernteameise like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted June 27 2023 - 5:20 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Of course I'm well aware of your crematogaster journal and it is on the curriculum. haha

As always after the test tube I'm moving them into a natural setup.
I have enough experience to properly cover their basic needs but escape proofing a large terrarium can be challenging.
My other colonies don't care much about freedom but these ants will let me know if there's a way out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users