• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Using Methylparaben in sugar water

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted June 19 2023 - 8:26 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Hi all.

I have a large number of colonies, and am getting veerryyy tired of having to remove/clean/refill feeders every handful of days.

Buying a solution such as Sunburst is not within my budget, due to the sheer amount of sugar water these colonies power through.

I want to make my own shelf-stable sugar water, so I only need to worry about refilling/cleaning feeders once they're empty.

I'm not finding any info for how much Methylparaben to use in sugar water, only regular water. Does anyone know?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2023 - 1:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Many people use hummingbird nectar for this reason. I’m not sure how available it would be in Europe, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted June 20 2023 - 6:02 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Unfortunately there are no hummingbirds in Europe :( Just looked online and I'm unable to find any nectar for sale.

#4 Offline Miles - Posted June 20 2023 - 9:07 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I found some which at least ship to the UK and France. Since you haven't specified your address, I'm not sure where you're trying to ship to.

We use this product in our ant lab: https://amzn.eu/d/1IShr6h

Cheers,

M

• ANTdrew likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#5 Offline AdamAnt1 - Posted June 21 2023 - 4:09 PM

AdamAnt1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I found some which at least ship to the UK and France. Since you haven't specified your address, I'm not sure where you're trying to ship to.

We use this product in our ant lab: https://amzn.eu/d/1IShr6h

Cheers,

M

Totally new to this hobby so apologies if this is an absurd question! The product you suggested is a concentrate. Do you dilute it according to the bottle, use your own dilution ratio, or do you use it straight?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users