• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Game of Thrones Journal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 4 2017 - 2:54 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

As this is my first experience in Ant Keeping, I am completely prepared if I fail at getting a successful colony, but being inspired by Game of Thrones I brought some fun into my first experience.

The following journal is one I had started in September this year (2017) and I will go ahead and post it as an attachment as it won't let me copy and paste on here. I will then continue my journal in real time and I welcome

feedback and help from anyone willing.

Also I am unsure what species I have, so please look in the ANT ID Forum and try to help me out. I think I have them down to either Harvester Ants or Big Headed Ants

Attached Files

#2 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 9 2017 - 2:12 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

20p?see=I_ALW334&res=640Well it looks like my species of ant is Pogonomyrmex rugosus. Thank you for all who helped ID them. Here is a pic of what she looks like (Not actually her, just a pic I found online)

#3 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 9 2017 - 4:07 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Day 35 (10/9/2017)

Went to check on Khaleesi today, and once again I am concerned. I can not see her eggs anymore. She either ate them or is hiding them in the cotton. She is also trying to pull out the cotton that keeps her in the tube. She also is digging a hole/tunnel into the water cotton swab as well. Any friendly advice I can get about her actions?

#4 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 11 2017 - 8:06 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Sometimes tugging on the cotton means the queen is infertile, but don't give up hope! When my queens start pulling on the cotton I give them a small foraging bin, that way they can wander about freely. Hopefully that helps :)

#5 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 11 2017 - 2:00 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I am almost considering figuring out on the possibility of how to boost since I have located 3 nearby nests of where she probably came from.

#6 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted November 7 2017 - 11:24 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Day 64 (11/7/2017)

Today I have decided to move Khaleesi to a test tube setup, as her make-shift syringe is getting pretty dirty. Low and behold she went straight to the new tube as soon as I connected them. Still no sign of eggs, but I will remain to keep her either till she does have eggs that results to a colony....or she dies.

#7 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted November 27 2017 - 3:50 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Day 84 (11/27/17)

Finally got some good news, I made a quick peek after not disturbing Khaleesi, and she has a few eggs she seems to be hovering over and caring for. I will probably not disturb her again for another 3 weeks and hope by then I have a couple workers before she decides to hibernate. Not sure how the process goes for eggs and pupae, would they hibernate too, or do they fully develop and then hibernate?

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted November 27 2017 - 4:27 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
If it laid it might try to get to its first workers, however alot of species will hibernate with larva.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users