• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are Nylanderia polygenous?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted May 27 2023 - 3:01 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

I just caught 12 new colonies of Nylanderia Parvula on top of the one massive colony I already had, and I wasn't sure what to do with all of them. I was just going to grow them bigger then set them free, but maybe I could combine the queens. I've had a bad history with other colonies dying because of it, so I'm very hesitant. Do you think my Nylanderia queens would be fine with it?

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 27 2023 - 5:06 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

I don't know much about Nylanderia Parvula , but I think you could try to have two or three together to see. I might start out good but then workers could arrive and they kill one of the queens t the way many ants work sadly.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2023 - 5:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Are you certain you have parvula? Based solely off your timing and location, I think N. flavipes are a likely possibility for your queens. In any case, most of our local Nylanderia are not polygynous.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted May 27 2023 - 6:39 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Maybe I got the ID wrong. That's ok, I won't keep all of the queens anyway. 

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 27 2023 - 3:57 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

To my knowledge Nylanderia spp. are monogynous.

• ANTdrew, futurebird and AntPerson76 like this

#6 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted May 28 2023 - 3:57 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Are you certain you have parvula? Based solely off your timing and location, I think N. flavipes are a likely possibility for your queens. In any case, most of our local Nylanderia are not polygynous.

your right, they are flavipes. I just got my ID wrong. i have a bigger colony of these ants that has at least 500 workers, and all this time, for three years almost, I never knew they were flavipes. Thanks for that correction.

Edited by AntPerson76, May 28 2023 - 4:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users