• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ChatGPT doesn't know anything about ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antkeeper55 - Posted May 26 2023 - 8:14 PM

antkeeper55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So, hearing that ChatGPT is good at a lot of things, I figured I'd test its knowledge by asking it something hard: listing every species under genus Tapinoma. It actually was off to a pretty good start, and at first glance, I almost believed it until I saw this one:Screenshot (938).png

"Tapinoma monomorium".

Not only is that not a species, those are both genus names.  :facepalm: I looked back at the rest and realized:

Screenshot (939).png

Most of these are fake. I'm not even sure where it got some of these species names from, like "Tapinoma essequeboense" 

So it looks like ChatGPT still has a lot to learn when it comes to ants.

• Manitobant and futurebird like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 27 2023 - 12:52 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
A lot of them honestly seem like they could be valid scientific names. Imagine if myrmecologists started using ChatGPT to come up with names for species…

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 27 2023 - 1:31 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

ChatGPT uses natural language processing (NLP) and is not good at a lot of things because it is being advertised as something it is not. It really only excels in one thing: producing sentences that sound coherent and flow just like any other real person would speak. It does not pull information from a database to ensure what it is presenting to you is accurate or correct; it just predicts what words to use based upon a given input (question) and has percentages of which words to choose based on the word it previously used. One of the best ways to implement ChatGPT would be to produce filler conversation for background characters in videogames, for example. 

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 27 2023 - 1:55 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Just did this myself and got some… interesting results

Attached Images

• BF6788E2-7253-4EE8-9795-38D2BD25C139.jpeg
  • 0EB1B3E6-8C89-42A7-A32D-4F9AE450175A.jpeg
  • A9ECB3E1-0E0C-4724-929F-C4C495ABC0B7.jpeg

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2023 - 2:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dead wrong on the range of Camponotus sericeiventris.
Humanity: 1 — AI: 0
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted May 27 2023 - 2:39 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
As a human and not an AI, I can verify that Lassus latipes are indeed thicc.
  • futurebird, Jonathan5608 and antkeeper55 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted May 27 2023 - 4:41 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I think ants weren't a big priority while training. Since it is not really open what websites and other texts were used you can't really tell. But I guess not many were used.

Other types of AI also struggle with ants. While you can generate quite realistic looking pictures of humans, cats, dogs etc, ants look far from real in the image generation AIs ;)

• futurebird likes this

#8 Offline MrLunk - Posted June 27 2023 - 1:12 PM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVelsen, Netherlands

It depends a bit on what information you ask from it...
I fed ChatGPT (unpaid version) about 25 short lines of knowledge that i learned from a day of reading articles and watching videos.

Then I told (prompted) ChatGPT:

Write an article about: 'Ants' Ingenious Engineering: Building Ramps for Efficient Navigation'
And include the information from the next 25 lines:

etc....

After the initial article was borked out by ChatGPT I asked it to write an extra sub about lasius niger concerning this same subject.

And voila here is the article after checking and adding a lil tit-n-tat...

https://formicarilun...g-building.html

Please do add a comment here or on my formicariLunk blog if you have information to add
or see something that could be improved to make the info more accurate or more complete.

Greetz,
Peter Lunk

P.s. I'll be info-fed-ChatGPT-prompt-writing more in the future on subjects of my interest :)

Edited by MrLunk, June 27 2023 - 1:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users