• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecocystus placodops (honeypots). Noticing failure rates of keepers, any idea why?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 7 2023 - 9:58 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I've been going through honeypot journals and whatnot and came across M. Placodops and M. Mendax.

A lot of people seem to have great success at first, colony exploding with brood and with workers, everything seems fantastic and *BOOM*, journal goes silent or "I had 10 queens, now I got 3" and "yeah....they're all deaders.... :thinking: "

And these are some experienced keepers. I'm just wondering, any thoughts or clue as to why?

I hear some mentioning of them being sugar water crazed, but I thought ants can handle not having some food for awhile and what about the repletes, how are they dying so much from still having repletes to live off of? That's like their whole purpose and their advantage as honeypots....that they have a reservoir of liquids so they don't starve etc.

I'm a new keeper and I'd like some thoughts from experienced keepers on the matter.

And is there a caresheet for the placodops?

Edited by BleepingBleepers, July 7 2023 - 10:01 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 8 2023 - 8:41 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
*Moved* Accidental Miss Post

Edited by ZTYguy, July 8 2023 - 9:40 AM.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 8 2023 - 9:00 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hey there! My journal will be hopefully updated this weekend and I’d like to share a few things about this species from my experience.

Really looking forward to it. I'm looking around for more caresheets and guides to keep them successful.

Especially the reason why certain seemingly successful colonies up and fail, want to learn from mistakes as to not repeat it as I'm quite interested in Honeypots, getting my own in a few weeks so preparing.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#4 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 8 2023 - 9:27 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Hey there! My journal will be hopefully updated this weekend and I’d like to share a few things about this species from my experience.

1. This species is quick to grow and quite easy to get going once nanitics emerge.

2. They readily take sugar water/nectar and protein.

3. Also from my experience they are no longer fragile once around 30-40 workers (generally once repletes begin to emerge).

4. They can last a LONG time without food thanks to their repletes however will need to be remained hydrated.

5. Heat is a must with this species and they need to be given enough space to grow.

Now all of these points are from MY experience and are not set in stone to all placodops colonies. Honestly the only reason these make harder keepers is the fact that they need attention in terms of heating, hydration and space accommodation. My colony has stayed at a plateau due to a lack of formicarium size increase and that they have not gotten my full attention. Now when I said previously that they can last a long time without feeding, I mean that they can SURVIVE, NOT THRIVE. They need the daily or “every other day” care to grow fast and steadily.
  • bmb1bee, Ernteameise and BleepingBleepers like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#5 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted July 8 2023 - 4:57 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Myrmecocystus placodops, even Myrmecocystus in general are pretty easy to keep. Just keep them around 85-90 degrees, constant sugar & water source, and insects 1-2 times a week then they will thrive. Really, unless a colony is dying from neglect, then it's more of a skill issue. 

• BleepingBleepers likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#6 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 10 2023 - 2:32 AM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I just started a journal on them. You can follow.

I also had that impression that honey pots randomly die for no reason. But as for now I have a couple placadops and they are doing great. All have between 15-20 workers and a lot of pupae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users