• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I think I just saw a queen back her butt out of the test tube and pee.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline nofuel11 - Posted May 7 2023 - 3:19 AM

nofuel11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Was this peeing or is something wrong with her? The test tube is covered for darkness up to the edge of the tube opening. I was watching workers eat outside when i noticed a huge butt poke out the tube! The Queen's butt then peed out 2 big drops of clear liquid. Then she casually went back in. I waited a few minutes then lifted the cover, only to see everything was like normal, with the queen acting healthy and normal back in her favorite place: far back in the closed end of the tube.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen, 13 months old, very healthy brood pile, 40ish workers.

#2 Offline nofuel11 - Posted May 7 2023 - 3:21 AM

nofuel11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
And this is a simple tub and tubes setup. That's why the tube opening wasn't closed off with cotton.

#3 Offline nofuel11 - Posted May 7 2023 - 3:12 PM

nofuel11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Omg someone else also saw their camponotus queen take a pee:

Seeing my ant pee is so cursed lol. It was so weird and I can't stop wondering about it. So many sites say ants don't pee, but I saw it happen and this video is another pee occasion from someone else. I do think it's pretty smart of my queen to not pee where she lives, by poking her butt right out the edge of the tube opening.
  • Formiga, AntsCali098 and Ernteameise like this

#4 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 8 2023 - 1:01 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • LocationGermany

Hmmm.

Not sure why this is so surprising, I did not assume ants were Moclans (aliens from The Orville who only pee once a year).

There are actually also a couple of Ants Canada videos where he has filmed ants peeing and commented on how awesome that was.

It might just be seen and filmed rarely because it just takes such a short time to do the deed.

• ANTdrew and nofuel11 like this

#5 Offline nofuel11 - Posted May 8 2023 - 9:46 AM

nofuel11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks, didn't know ac covered it. I was thinking I was insane bc every site on the internet confidently says ants never pee liquid, all they do is poop a thing that contains everything like bird poops! I thought the orange slice my ants had been crazy about was causing some kinda reaction lol
  • Ernteameise likes this

#6 Offline Formiga - Posted May 14 2023 - 2:12 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Gosh... Spent a whole minute in anticipation staring at an ant's butt... But even expected, that was totally unexpected.

Moooooooom!!! :o

Thanks for that video, @nofel11!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users