• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Time to add another nest?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted April 7 2023 - 10:34 PM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
How do you guys know when it's time to add another nest?

This is my Lasius Niger nest. The areas I've underlined in red is where all the larvae are

20230408_081613.jpg

Just a few days ago I added a heating cable to the back of the nest, it's on the bottom left 1/4 of the nest. I noticed that since then a lot of the ants have been crowding away from it, but they're still keeping their brood on it.

I think the nest is too humid and maybe the heat cable makes it even moreso, so the ants are mainly avoiding that spot unless they're taking care of brood. (I'm just waiting for the nest to dry out a bit at this point, not much else I can do)

There's also a ton of ants hanging out in the tube for the outworld, unlike last year when they used it as a trail, this year they seem to be using it as part of the nest. You can see there's a ton in the bottom half of the tube:

20230408_081645.jpg

20230408_083120.jpg

I'm wondering if it's time to add another one of these nests? Maybe one that I keep on the drier side?

Edited by FelixTheAnter, April 7 2023 - 10:37 PM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2023 - 2:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think adding another nest could be a good idea for this colony. What they will really need, though, is a bigger outworld.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted April 8 2023 - 4:40 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Okay, thanks! Just out of curiosity, why do they need a big outworld? If they have access to food, and a dedicated/separate trash area, why something bigger? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering what the reason is :)

#4 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted April 8 2023 - 7:25 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

While i am fairly noob to ants, i believe the nest behavior you describe is fairly normal. The ants will seek out most optimal conditions, and those will each be differetn for eggs and larvae, pupae, and adult ants. With the eggs/larvae commonly kept in higher humidity ares than adult ants would hang out in. And pupae/larvae kept where it is warmest.

I notice my Pogonomyrmex. colony shuffles the brood around over time. Keeping the eggs on/by the water tower, but moving the larvae and pupae back and forth between the water tower and where the heat is generated(staying in each locaiton for long periods).

It's just a mini hearth, so only one small chamber but they still notice and make use of the temperature and humidity gradient across it.

So i'd not take that behavior as indicting anything is especially off. They just do notice and do take advantage of minor temperature /humidity differences for optimal brood conditions.

As far as hanging out at the bottom of the tube. I have read it can be a sign of a crowded nest when enough of the nest is seeming to live in the outworld/connecting tubes. 

And just to say, neat setup you got there.
However never forget that all creatures run a "conservation of energy algorithm." They want to choose flat or downhill routes whenever they can, and may have just decided that part of the nest includes this lower portion of the tube as part of that.

If they just live there, then they don't need to make the trip down, only drag food back up.

So i'd imagine that too could be a factor on them in the tube.

All i know about outworld is just that the larger the space the more natural their behaviors can become. In a small enough enclosed space their sent communications wind up with behaviors a bit differetn from in the open wild as i understood it.
I have made sure to provide a fair amount of outworld space for even my small colony now only at about 40.

• rptraut likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2023 - 12:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
From what I’ve heard, Lasius niger is a very fast growing and energetic species. Too small of an outworld will make cleaning and escape prevention next to impossible.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users