• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping colony with Lycaenidae parasitic caterpillar?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 2:35 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationGermany

I am asking this question since I have not seen any posts about this here.

Has anyone here ever had tried to keep a colony and introduced a Lycaenidae caterpillar?

The ones that trick the ants to carry them into the nest and then eat the brood?

I find this very fascinating.

However, I suspect since these butterflies are endagered in most regions, it would be a) hard to get hold of a caterpillar and B) one would need special permits.

• ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 2 2023 - 2:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The closest thing I’ve done is trying to introduce a myrmecophile cricket to a large Crematogaster colony. I think it just ended up getting eaten, though.
  • Ernteameise likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:04 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

You may find this a good read discussing host formicid genera along with the genera or species of Lycaenid associated with them.  You can find ant species in your local and the relevant Lycaenid species then do a species search on the butterfly and establish its population status:

https://www.hindawi....he/2012/153975/

• Ernteameise likes this

#4 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:18 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow, thank you for the paper!

I admit, this would be an absolute dream project of mine.

Having a flourishing Lasius niger or Myrmica rubra colony which is also host to a parasitic caterpillar.

Sadly, most of these butterflies are endangered in Germany, so sourcing them will be a problem.

I am also not an entomologist-

so even if I find a host colony of Myrmica rubra in my parent's garden or our orchard, I do not think I will be able to determine the species of the caterpillar and I think I would be a bit afraid to cause harm to an endangered animal, just to satisfy my curiosity.

But my fingers are definitely itching for turning over the rocks at my parent's place and the orchard and peek into the Myrmica nests.

However, right now, I do not yet feel confident enough for keeping a more challenging species like Myrmica rubra (I have seen they are quite tricky with their heating and humidity requirements)- I am aware that I should gain some experience with my beginner level Messors first before daring to attempt keeping them.

So for now, I think peeking will be the only thing I could do.

#5 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:33 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationGermany

I just had a thought-

this would indeed be a great project for this spring- when I travel home to my parents, having a census of the ant species and colonies I find in the garden and the orchard.

I am not living at my parent's place, I live around 60km away at the town where I work. 

My parent's place is an old farm, we do some very minor farming for personal consumption and it is in a VERY rural German area in a small village, there are also some protected areas around it and a protected dry scrub area ideal for many different ants right next to the orchard!

Sadly I only get to go home once a month, and while I am travelling home over Easter next week, rain and snow is forcast, so weather will less than ideal for ant excursions.

I will have to see if I mangage to go home at a later date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users