• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Happened Here?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 28 2015 - 2:55 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

:wtf: This was a Solenopsis amblychila queen before I found this. She only had one host worker, which was tending to the host brood when I found her like this... :lol:

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted July 28 2015 - 4:34 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

I have no idea what happened, but that is pretty crazy.  Was the host worker of the same species or were you trying to pull one over on them? :D

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted July 28 2015 - 6:20 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Looks like she may have been parasitized. Did you find a small gnat-like fly in the container?

• Chromerust, Jonathan21700 and LC3 like this

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 28 2015 - 12:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looks like she may have been parasitized. Did you find a small gnat-like fly in the container?

Hmmm... I did not think of that. I may still have not washed this out, so I will go check.

#5 Offline Mauritaniants - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:10 PM

Mauritaniants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmmm... Do you have relatives that don't support your ant hobby?
  • LC3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users