• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID Please

Best Answer Mettcollsuss , March 28 2023 - 3:14 AM

1. Tapinoma sessile
2. Lasius, probably L. americanus
3. Myrmica sp. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted March 27 2023 - 11:38 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I am pleased to show you three of the ants found in my area that I would like to have identified.  I will apologize beforehand for the quality of the photos, I can supply more of equally poor quality if required.

Ant #1

I found this colony of ants living in a hollow rhubarb stem last summer in my garden.  They are just different enough from the other ants that I keep, that I would like to get a positive ID if possible.  

They are 2 to 2.5 mm long, black, and very active.  They also seem to be very prolific, judging by the brood they are currently raising.  They have naked pupae.  

IMG_3141.JPG

Ant #2

I found these ants as a founding colony, living in an acorn in a woodlot not far from my home.  They are 2.5 to 3 mm long, brown and chunky looking compared to ant #1.  They make cocoons.  Initially they were very secretive, only appearing long enough to grab food, drag it back into the acorn and disappear for three or four days.  When they graduated to a larger formicarium they continued this type of behaviour, only taking food that I covered with their feeding dish.  Now that the colony is bigger, they are capable of dragging most things to a hole and they are also foraging more and are often out patrolling their area.  

IMG_3151.JPG

Ant #3

I've found a number of colonies of these ants in the same woodlot as Ant #2.  I find them living in acorns and walnuts and they are polygynous, one had five queens.  They are 4 to 4.5 mm long and have naked pupae.  They are, I think, the most laid back, relaxed, easy-going, well-behaved ants I keep.   They eat pretty well anything I give them and I can observe their brood chambers with no red filter and there's no panic.  When startled, if they can't make a quick escape to a hiding place, they'll freeze until they feel it's safe to continue.  They also play dead.  They meet me at the feeding tray and take food right off the tweezers.  How could you not love ants like that?  I'd like to be able to put a name to these great ants, although slower growing, they'd make excellent ants for a beginner.  

IMG_3166.JPG

Again, I thank those of you who take the time to identify these ants for me.  

RPT

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 28 2023 - 3:14 AM   Best Answer

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
1. Tapinoma sessile
2. Lasius, probably L. americanus
3. Myrmica sp.
  • FinWins likes this

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted March 28 2023 - 3:28 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Thanks again.  Any chance they might be Lasius alienus?

#4 Offline OiledOlives - Posted March 28 2023 - 5:28 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
L. alienus is only found in Eurasia.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted March 28 2023 - 6:21 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
I'm so glad you guys know all this stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users