• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What to do with ants during vacation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted April 21 2023 - 9:35 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

I will be going to India this summer to see my family for about 2 months. What should I do about my ants?

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 21 2023 - 9:43 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Which species of ants?

I know for the temperate species here I can just pop them into the fridge, but I'm unsure if that would work for your species since you're in Florida
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted April 21 2023 - 9:44 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Solenopsis Xyloni 

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 21 2023 - 9:56 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

Solenopsis Xyloni

I'm no expert on S. xyloni, however, I would imagine leaving a heating cable on them, lots of water, give them some individual drops of honey (honey/sugar water will go bad too fast) or feed them plenty of sugars before you leave if anything and I would make sure you gave them a nice, hearty protein meal before you go.

My invicta would easily take care of themselves for up to 2 weeks without food, especially after a large feeding, but they 100% need PLENTY of water.

EDIT: I just realized you said 2 MONTHS, not weeks. I strongly believe that you will need someone to come by and feed them if you want them to survive.

Edited by Flu1d, April 21 2023 - 9:57 AM.

• ConcordAntman and Manitobant like this

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 21 2023 - 10:00 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Probably would be better asking someone to take care of them, or maybe checking with folks whether cooling down would work

Edited by Canadian anter, April 21 2023 - 10:00 AM.

• MinigunL5 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline Miles - Posted April 21 2023 - 10:52 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Our lab in Gainesville could potentially accommodate your colony/s. Feel free to send me a DM. 

2 months is too long to leave ants without proper care.

• ANTdrew likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Online AntsCali098 - Posted April 21 2023 - 1:43 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Solenopsis is more of a demanding species and definitely need care during that time. It also depends a bit on colony size.
  • MinigunL5 likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#8 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 21 2023 - 6:51 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Our lab in Gainesville could potentially accommodate your colony/s. Feel free to send me a DM.

2 months is too long to leave ants without proper care.

Miles is trustworthy and would absolutely properly care for your colonies. I highly recommend you hit him up.

#9 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 22 2023 - 1:44 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Solenopsis Xyloni 

Where did you get your xyloni? I don't know of any ant shops that sell xyloni to Florida.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#10 Offline rptraut - Posted April 22 2023 - 8:48 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

So.... if we could get back to the original question, does anyone have any suggestions about feeding ant colonies for a more reasonable vacation time like one or two weeks?  For things like sugar/water and drinking water, feeders and such can be left that will last for a week.  That's easily done.  I imagine a two-week amount could also be figured out and left for each colony.  But what about protein?  In the past I have left pieces of freeze-dried brine shrimp, soft dog treats, pieces of dry dog food, and chicken bones for my colonies with varying success.  The chicken bones are especially popular.  I give my larger colonies these as a treat in their regular feeding program.  I use chicken thigh bone or pieces of neck vertebrae with adhering scraps of meat and grizzle etc attached.  I also usually cut the thigh bones in half.  My Camponotus and Tetramorium colonies love these and will spend literally days cleaning every scrap of useful stuff from the bones and will even get inside and hollow out all of the marrow from inside the bones too.  They seem to be able to keep ahead of mold and the dog treats, dry dog food, and brine shrimp easily keep for a week if they are kept dry.  I've never seen any problems with mold in the nest.  

If a colony has to go without protein for two or three days to a week, will it adversely affect them?  What other ways can protein be supplied to a colony for a couple of weeks, without having to worry about spoilage?  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

RPT

• AdamAnt1 likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#11 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 23 2023 - 3:01 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

So.... if we could get back to the original question, does anyone have any suggestions about feeding ant colonies for a more reasonable vacation time like one or two weeks? For things like sugar/water and drinking water, feeders and such can be left that will last for a week. That's easily done. I imagine a two-week amount could also be figured out and left for each colony. But what about protein? In the past I have left pieces of freeze-dried brine shrimp, soft dog treats, pieces of dry dog food, and chicken bones for my colonies with varying success. The chicken bones are especially popular. I give my larger colonies these as a treat in their regular feeding program. I use chicken thigh bone or pieces of neck vertebrae with adhering scraps of meat and grizzle etc attached. I also usually cut the thigh bones in half. My Camponotus and Tetramorium colonies love these and will spend literally days cleaning every scrap of useful stuff from the bones and will even get inside and hollow out all of the marrow from inside the bones too. They seem to be able to keep ahead of mold and the dog treats, dry dog food, and brine shrimp easily keep for a week if they are kept dry. I've never seen any problems with mold in the nest.

If a colony has to go without protein for two or three days to a week, will it adversely affect them? What other ways can protein be supplied to a colony for a couple of weeks, without having to worry about spoilage? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
RPT

Depends on the species, among other factors. My invicta could go 2 weeks without protein without any truly negative effects.. I wouldn't run the same risk with certain other species, like perhaps O. haematodus.

The best ants to leave alone would probably be ants like Pogonomyrmex or other granivorous species since they can store food for an okay time, or perhaps fungus growing species. (This is only for food)

Solenopsis Xyloni

Where did you get your xyloni? I don't know of any ant shops that sell xyloni to Florida.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have S. xyloni. I think he caught that colony and self identified it.

#12 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted May 4 2023 - 3:58 AM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

It's not xyloni my microscope is horrible that is the problem. :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users