• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Journal - Lasius Sp. Colony

ant journal lasius sp. lasius

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zeko - Posted March 26 2024 - 7:54 PM

Zeko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA
3/26/2024 

I captured these workers + queen 2 days ago and took some of the brood they were carrying. Currently, there are 5 workers, 25-50 eggs, and 3-5 larvae, with one becoming a pupa. The queen currently lays a few eggs per day, and, if all of those eggs eclose one day, the colony will have 50 workers!!!

Today I fed a piece of orange pulp, cut in half, to the workers, who inspected it but did not eat it. However, a few hours later I found it empty of juice so I removed the remains. Currently, the queen resides peacefully. It was a little humid so I removed the heating pad, but now there is less humidity. 

Attached Images

• IMG_23751.JPG
  • IMG_23761.JPG
  • IMG_23771.JPG

Edited by Zeko, March 26 2024 - 7:57 PM.

Young ant keeper! 

Keeping: 3x Lasius Sp.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....achariaBahcivan

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 27 2024 - 5:36 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Are your sure that isn’t some sort of Dorymyrmex or Forelius? It looks a lot like Forelius pruinosus or F. pruinosus (the triangular head is very similar to that of Dorymyrmex and Forelius. The queen looks much slimmer than than that of most Dorymyrmex queens, and the head of her is also definitely much more slimmer). Otherwise, I think we need some better pics of the queen (since workers are the ones that have more complex variants).

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Online GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 27 2024 - 6:10 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I agree the queen gaster looks more triangular shaped instead of a more rounded.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#4 Offline Zeko - Posted April 4 2024 - 8:06 PM

Zeko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

4/4/2024

The feeding session can be found here: 

Young ant keeper! 

Keeping: 3x Lasius Sp.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....achariaBahcivan

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted April 6 2024 - 6:25 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
That is not lasius, it could be Dorymyrmex or Forelius, but personally, I think that this is an argentine ant colony. The queen and workers look exactly the same to the ones that i use to have.

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#6 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 7 2024 - 4:29 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

That is not lasius, it could be Dorymyrmex or Forelius, but personally, I think that this is an argentine ant colony. The queen and workers look exactly the same to the ones that i use to have.

You have a very good point; but if you look at the first few pictures, the coloration is a little different, and the size of the workers is also different; the workers of this colony being smaller than an Argentine ant worker (correct me if I’m wrong on this). The coloration (especially of the queen) is much more similar to F. pruinosus or Forelius pruinosus.
  • AsdinAnts likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, lasius sp., lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users