• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Venom's Aphaenogaster fulva Colony

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted January 20 2023 - 11:13 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Hello everyone!
Here's my journal of my colony of Aphaenogaster fulva that I had field collected after getting back.
First, I know that colony collecting is frowned upon. This species is extremely common in my area, it was during hibernation so they weren't really stressed out, and I needed a decent colony for my formicarium experiment. I also made sure to collect 100% of the colony. Even going to lengths of putting a light Grey tarp under the wood I found them in for easy spotting and to collect all the larvae and eggs.

I collected them on December 30th,2022 and they were found in a local forest log that was half decayed.
Once I had collected them, I returned home and put them in a plaster setup for a temporary time frame. I had intentions of making a new style of formicarium that seems to work very well at the moment.

Currently, the colony has a huge pile of larvae and the eggs are hatching into larvae. I'm expecting pupae within the next week or following week. The queen has gotten bulkier and seems to be almost ready for more egg laying. I had been feeding them cockroaches and meal worms, but I had to get rid of the roaches since my new girlfriend is not a fan😂. She's OK with the meal worms and ants though.

I'll update here if there are more cool updates! And for any tunnel progress on their formicarium! I'm hoping them make some natural looking chambers! 20230120_140152.jpg
  • ANTdrew, madbiologist and antsriondel like this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 20 2023 - 12:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice start! I look forward to following.
  • VenomousBeast likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Flu1d - Posted January 21 2023 - 10:07 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
Super cool ants! I didn't know people had an issue with colony digging? I thought that was more for digging up colonies just to dig them up, not to collect? Or am I missing an ant rule that I never knew about? That's interesting to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users