• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Fungus Cool

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted January 15 2023 - 8:57 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
I currently have a acromyrmex versicolor queen and am worried about keeping the fungus cool in the summer, as I know it shouldn't get much more than 80 degrees. I live in a place that can regularly get to the upper 80s in the summer, and I would like to avoid keeping air conditioning on at all times.

Any strategies to keep the fungus cool in the summer?

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#2 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted January 16 2023 - 8:51 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

If you don't have room/home wide climate control, try to enclose a smaller space around the ants enclosure that you could control the temps of. A box around the box, and in the larger box you can figure out some form of temperature regulation like a swamp cooler or something smaller scale that can keep the immediate space around the ant's fungus room from getting up over 80.

There is at least one post i found around here with such a setup boxing in a leaf cutter setup to better regulate the temperature in the immediate space around them. Sorry i don't have a link right off but the journals section has a lot of good setups to check out for ideas.

Though anything enclosed like that would still need some venting to prevent condensation/moisture build up, especially if the cooling method is an evaporator(swamp cooler).

For both heating and cooling i notice it is common for people to give up a closet to the ants or maybe section of a room corner that can be better climate controlled if they have the space to spare.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, January 16 2023 - 8:51 AM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users