• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arctic Chill Warning, what about the bees?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 7 2014 - 7:12 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I'm just curious because I don't know much about beekeeping, but with how cold it's been in North-Eastern NA, I wonder how beekeepers are dealing with it. After that huge ice storm that hit Toronto along with the sever arctic chill warnings we've been getting how many colonies have died? Just wondering how any bee colony can survive these conditions right now. (-24C, feels like -30 to -40C)

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted January 7 2014 - 8:09 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Probably depends how well the owners winterized the hives.

The hives up here are wrapped in a special insulation and they survive -45C temperature with minimal losses.

But when you think about it, bees aren't exactly well adapted to very cold climates.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 7 2014 - 8:11 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I'm starting to wonder how many colonies have died from freezing in our area just because it doesn't usually get this cold for this long so I don't think a lot of beekeepers were expecting it. It's starting to feel like a prairie winter.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 7 2014 - 7:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

78 degrees F (25.5 C) down here. :)

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted January 8 2014 - 6:53 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I'm starting to wonder how many colonies have died from freezing in our area just because it doesn't usually get this cold for this long so I don't think a lot of beekeepers were expecting it. It's starting to feel like a prairie winter.

Haha, Come on Mercutia. 

You are still nowhere near as cold as my location in northern Alberta!  We had -38C yesterday, and that is the temp without windchill!  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 17 2014 - 11:22 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

LOL, I'm never moving to Alberta. I've decided. xD

#7 Offline nepenthes - Posted January 18 2014 - 6:56 AM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

They insulate them, Like Crystals says. They have them up in Alaska even, as long as they have enough stores, and sometimes they even need feed! 

(its been a while just popping in!)
-nepenthes

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 18 2014 - 10:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

(its been a while just popping in!)
-nepenthes

Hey, glad to see you're still alive. I though you might have gotten eaten by one of your critters.

• nepenthes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users