• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fire ant queen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline justaguy - Posted January 3 2023 - 12:08 AM

justaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEwa Beach - Oahu, Hawaii

Hi, i was wondering when my fire ant queen should start laying eggs. I found her on a tennis court and she hasn't laid eggs in the first 3 days that i got her. I'm not sure what species of fire ant she is and she also hasn't gotten rid of her wings yet.

#2 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted January 3 2023 - 3:39 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
She might be infertile.
  • Chickalo likes this

#3 Offline Flu1d - Posted January 3 2023 - 4:44 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

Hi, i was wondering when my fire ant queen should start laying eggs. I found her on a tennis court and she hasn't laid eggs in the first 3 days that i got her. I'm not sure what species of fire ant she is and she also hasn't gotten rid of her wings yet.

My first invicta queen took a solid 5 days, the next 10 queens all took about 3-5 days. My latest queens I had them for at least 3 or 4 no eggs before I brood boosted them a little.

Give her time and don't check on her too much. If she doesnt lay eggs in 5 more days of being warm in a fairly left alone place, she may be infertile.

Edited by Flu1d, January 3 2023 - 4:44 AM.

• justaguy likes this

#4 Offline justaguy - Posted January 3 2023 - 2:33 PM

justaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEwa Beach - Oahu, Hawaii

ok thanks for the feedback i will look for more queen ants if she does happpen to be infertile!

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted January 4 2023 - 1:58 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

It can take longer than three days. Typically after a week it's a good sign of infertility.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users