• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trap jaw habitat suggestions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted January 3 2023 - 2:56 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida
I currently have a odontomachus haematodus queen and have no idea to what I should house her in. She is currently in a tubs & tubes set up with some soil from the area I caught her in.
And also should I brood boost her with pupae or should I dip a few workers in vinegar and introduce them to her.

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted January 3 2023 - 3:26 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

i would recommend a tub and tube setup brood boost her with 6to8 pupae  feed her proteins every other day  and sugar water or honey every day or 2

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 3 2023 - 5:00 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

What you're doing right now should be fine, she doesn't sound like she needs a brood boost.  Don't do anything that would stress her out in the first couple of weeks, and if she doesn't have any growth then try brood boosting (assuming you know as a fact she is fertile).  Don't try to rush your queen.  I would've recommended baking the dirt (and anything from outside for that matter of fact) to kill it, but there's still a small chance of there being anything fatal in there.  But hey, rather safe than sorry.

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted January 4 2023 - 11:29 AM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Haven't researched this species much, but judging by what other people have done, keep them in the tubs and tubes. If you want, making them a more naturalistic tubs and tubes setup would also work as well. They seem to be quite healthy, so I'd say small feedings every day since they don't really take anything that's too much larger than them. Either that or chop up their food to make it more appealing if you aren't already doing that  :) .

if you want to get in contact with me, here's my Discord:

Discord: hoth#0177

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users